Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

19/5/09 Less than an hour... Saturn and some globs

gman

Hi,

Looked out the door just after 10, the telescope was set up by about 10.20

I started with Saturn which is by now getting noticeably closer to the horizon with each week. It'll be a shame when its out of sight. This was my first chance to use my new 3x TAL barlow which I brought after getting good views with my 2x version and after seeing some good remarks about it recently. With my 9mm eyepiece I can push the ZS70 up to 143x which is about the limit the scope can reach.

Anyway, when the vibration from focussing etc. calms down it provides a pretty good view. I could clearly see the rings against Saturn. That about concludes it for Saturn as I was primarily out to at least find this months targets.

My first step was to find Arcturus in order to set up the RA scale properly.

The first glob of the night was M3 which I managed to put bang in the middle of the 15mm eyepiece using setting circles. Best views were with the 15 and 9mm EPs. I couldn't make out any induvidual stars but there was no mistaking what I was seeing.

After a few minutes I moved on to M13. Using the setting circles to go straight from M3 I was able to put M13 well inside the FOV of the 15mm. This was clearly the largest looking of the 3 globs. I couldn't resolve any stars again but it was still a pretty good sight.

On to M92. Using setting circles once again, I was able to get M92 in the 15mm's FOV but only just. The best view ws with the 9mm although I got a fairly decent view with the 15mm+2x barlow. No stars though.

I didn't do much more observing due to time constraints. A second look at Saturn but thats it.

I've got to be up early tomorrow so I never really allowed myself the time to take a proper look at the 3 Messiers. That will have to come another night. A shame really as the seeing was pretty good and there was very little cloud and no moonlight whatsoever.

To round off the night, ISS flew over just as I was beginning to pack things up. I wathced as it passed through Leo and as it just skimmed Arcturus. One of the brightest passes I've seen.

If only I didn't have to go to work an hour early.:cool:

Gareth

Archived