Hello from Bortle 8

corso

No one is the one to make decisions for you, but you act wisely by gathering information and listening to the good advice that more experienced observers can offer you in these forums.

When I talked about my 8" Dob I was going back to the 80's, when light pollution had not reached anywhere near the levels it has today, at least in the places where I used to observe, so I can't really speak from personal experience of what and how it looks through an 8" reflector under Bortle 8.

However, I understand that light pollution affects both large and small apertures equally, since any aperture points to the same sky. If we stick to faint, diffuse deep sky objects, it is true that a larger aperture collects more unwanted light from the bright background that "envelops" them, but it also captures more light from the object in question than a smaller aperture, so the ratio of "light with useful information" / "unwanted light from the bright background" remains more or less constant for any aperture. However, the larger aperture retains its superior resolution capability, which will undoubtedly be evident not only in DSO observation, but also in lunar or planetary observation... provided, of course, that the seeing conditions allow us to "take advantage" of this theoretical resolution advantage. What I mean by this is that a large aperture will be able to discern details and structures in any kind of object that a smaller aperture will not be able to reach. I recommend reading this 2006 article published in Sky and Telescope, especially its second section (second "infamous myth").
https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-resources/four-infamous-telescope-myths/

We talk about an 8" as a "large aperture", and while it was "in my younger days", I think that today it is a very common aperture, so I would dare to call it medium. Forty years ago, it was not a problem for me to grab the base and the tube, go up or down some stairs with it and transport myself with a car to places under darker skies than those of my city. Obviously, today I do not have the same energy, strength or vitality, and yes, I recognize that, depending on who, and, above all, under what circumstances, an 8" Dob can be "too big and heavy". Certainly, unless a collapsible model is chosen, it not only has a notable weight but it takes up considerable space. And even if it is collapsible, it does take up space.

As for its behaviour under atmospheric stability conditions between not very good and regular, I would say that an 8" would be the limit optic that can cope with them with dignity. Any aperture over 8" will be much more demanding in terms of seeing conditions. And, being open, it is not a tube that requires unacceptable cooling times. It is evident that in both cases, any doublet from 80 to 120mm will behave better than the 8". Another clear advantage of a refractor over any other design is that it does not require maintenance to offer 100% of what it can give: I am talking about the "controversial" collimation. But I always say that, at least for visual observation, correct collimation does not have to be perfect and very precise collimation.

Although I am here playing a bit of a devil's lawyer, defending the 8" Dob, I consider myself a fan of "fracs". I am the owner of a Newt. 6" but my two ED doublets are by far the tubes I use the most. Perhaps with age and time what one is looking for the most is comfort, and, why not say it, also an image quality that really only a well-built ED or APO can offer you. But when what you are really looking for is the maximum optimization between performance and cost, and if the inconveniences to be able to store it and "move it" are not an insurmountable handicap, I think that nobody will question that the 8" Dob like this one offered by our sponsor, is the best "all-terrain" tube, the one that will be able to give you the best planetary and deep sky views, and, therefore, the best possible purchase. The one that will give you more, for less.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/stellalyra-8-f6-dobsonian.html?_gl=1 * 1i14avi * _up * MQ.. * _ga * MTQ3MDI4MTgyMS4xNzI5NzY5NTMz * _ga_F6VGWQ0MW9 * MTcyOTc2OTUzMC4xLjEuMTcyOTc2OTUzNy4wLjAuMA..

Returning to the subject of light pollution, I do not know what type of urban lighting there is in your environment, but there are filters that can help a lot in this regard, and this is valid not only for the Dob but for any other design that you decide on. There are many parameters involved in choosing one or more suitable filters to try to reduce the unwanted effects of city skyglow. It would be extensive to discuss it here and this is probably not the place, there are long threads of discussions on this subject on SGL. But I recommend these readings:
https://agenaastro.com/articles/guide-to-light-pollution-filters.html
https://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/useful-filters-for-viewing-deep-sky-objects/

Good luck in your future decision!

Following up on @bosun21: I'm a happy owner of a Skywatcher Skymax 127 (Maksutov design): it's a bomb telescope. Very portable (again, fits in a backpack), with probably the best compromise between aperture and portability. I am loving the design so much, especially for Lunar observing, that I'm considering that my future upgrade (the upgrade that will come if I ever have house and a shed) should be a Cassegrain design for the long focal lenght (= more magnification for small detail and sketching). Starting off I never imagined I would become a fan of these designs, as they look a bit "chunky" and complicated. But the Mak 127 is just a lovely scope, not too heavy, decent aperture.

And if you want something REALLY portable, I heard that the Skymax 102 is also a great cheaper option with quite a lot of punch for the size - for 120£ less. It would definitely allow you to see planets and the Moon in a lot of detail, plus getting you access to the brightest DSOs. With it being cheaper will also leave you more budget for future upgrades and give you time into the hobby before deciding in what direction you will go (and this might change for you as it did for me). 

• Like 2

Welcome back and perfect choice!

In my astronomy club the biggest question is "What scope should I buy as a beginner?" To say it's a loaded one is an understatement. 

Short answer(s) are based on 2 questions back; Do you own a pair of binoculars? and What's your budget? 

The binos part is really a leading question to gauge what kind of astronomy they want to explore. As you say that you have binos and been using them would have me skipping to budget. I've learned to ask this because 99% of the time it's "2 maaaabe 3 hundred". 

The shorthand version of this is the best bang for your buck is a 8" Dob and here's why

1. Aperture Size: The 8-inch mirror provides enough light-gathering capability, allowing you to observe a variety of celestial objects, including planets, star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies. This aperture size strikes a balance between seeing deep-sky objects and maintaining portability.

2. Ease of Use: Dob mounts are known for their simplicity, utilizing a rocker box design that allows smooth up-down and left-right movements. This makes the scope easy to set up and intuitive to use, even for newbies without prior experience. Unlike Equatorial mounts which are complex for beginners to use. 

3. Affordability: Compared to other telescope types with similar aperture sizes, 8-inch Dobsonians are relatively affordable. They offer more visually and deliver great optical performance without breaking the bank.

4. Low Maintenance: The f/6 focal ratio of an 8-inch Dobsonian is more forgiving regarding collimation (alignment of the mirrors), making it easier for you to keep the scope in good working condition without constantly needing fine-tuning.

5. Portability: While larger telescopes might offer more light-gathering power, they can be cumbersome to transport and set up. An 8-inch Dobsonian is large enough to show detailed views but still manageable for most users to move around, even for quick observing sessions from the back garden or local dark-sky sites.

Don't overlook the eyepieces! Most dobs come with trash eyepieces. You can use them to start with but a good eyepiece will allow you to get the best from the bigger mirror. 

It's not to say you NEED to buy these, just that I've seen the difference when our club are out observing and we try out different club members eyepieces in one of our members 8" and man! the difference it can make!

Just some thoughts, here's three highly recommended eyepieces, known for their performance and versatility (also, you could negotiate a deal with the shop to include a good one alternatively, there is a large second hand market. 

1. Baader Hyperion 8mm Eyepiece

Price: Approximately 150–180

Best For: Planetary viewing and lunar observation. The 8mm focal length provides higher magnification, making it great for seeing fine details on the Moon or the cloud bands of Jupiter and Saturn's rings.

Why It’s Good: This eyepiece offers a wide 68-degree field of view, providing a more immersive experience. It’s also known for good eye relief, making it comfortable for extended viewing.

2. Tele Vue 24mm Panoptic

round 350–400 

Wide-field views of deep-sky objects like star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies. The 24mm focal length delivers a lower magnification with a larger exit pupil, giving a bright, wide view.

Why It’s Good: The Panoptic series is renowned for exceptional edge sharpness and contrast, which is especially beneficial for observing faint deep-sky objects. Its 68-degree apparent field of view helps beginners and experienced users find and enjoy celestial targets.

3. Explore Scientific 14mm 82°

Price: About 200–250

Best For: A mid-range magnification suitable for both planetary and deep-sky observing. The 14mm focal length is versatile for viewing the Moon, planets, and brighter deep-sky objects.

Why It’s Good: The 82-degree field of view provides a "spacewalk" experience, and the eyepiece is well-regarded for its optical quality and sharpness across the field. It's a popular choice for those looking for a wide-field eyepiece without the premium price of a Tele Vue.

One last thing, to get the best of the Dob you'll need to travel to darker skies. I'm sure you know this and is probably one of the reasons you're looking at the portability of the 8". 

It's tough to *juggle life and small humans in this hobby so ease of use is often king. As has been said many times "The best scope is the one you use the most" 

Clear skies and keep lookin' up!

(* actually juggling humans is not recommended)

• Like 1