New Kit first light - Elephants Trunk

Clarkey

First light for a whole load of new kit. First a 10" Quattro carbon fibre - second hand bargain I could not resist. Now modified with the usual newtonian 'extras' and a second-hand GPU coma corrector. I also purchased a new SVBony IMX533 camera for £460 including a planetary camera and UV/IR filter - again, I could not resist a bargain. Finally, full price for a pair of Ha-O3 and SII-O3 6nm filters from Altair plus a new filter wheel.

Anyway, 15 hours of data over 2.5 nights, processed in PI. Colour is not quite as I would like, but I am still getting to grips with twin dual band filter processing. I might need to review my methodology. At least my stars are round🙂

Critical comment welcome as always.

IC 1396 Elephants Trunk.jpg

• Like 17

Very nice image. I gathered approximately 3 hours of data on this last night but with no filters and essentially a full moon it may have been a waste of time. Not processed yet but hard to make out any detail in individual subs. I have ordered and am awaiting delivery of a dual narrow band filter. Probably the only positive was that I did achieve some of my best guiding with long periods in the 0.5 to 0.65 arcsec rms range, a good reward for having stripped and regressed the mount last week.

16 hours ago, PhilB61 said:

Very nice image. I gathered approximately 3 hours of data on this last night but with no filters and essentially a full moon it may have been a waste of time

Thanks. As a rule, I do not really image RGB when the moon is close to full. But NB is acceptable - just needs longer. However, given the relatively few clear nights, I would not like to miss any opportunity!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

Excellent rendition of the elephant's trunk. I too have a quattro 10 CF which is an excellent piece of kit as your image confirms. No longer made, so must be collectors items now!

Thank you for your comment. Yes, the CF version seems better than the steel tubes. I was lucky to find it on Ebay for £300. Also, the focuser on this one is way better than the TS version that I had. Although they are meant to be similar, the SW focuser is actually quite good. I might upgrade to a Steeltrack in the future - but I will see how it goes.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2024 at 16:02, Clarkey said:

First light for a whole load of new kit. First a 10" Quattro carbon fibre - second hand bargain I could not resist. Now modified with the usual newtonian 'extras' and a second-hand GPU coma corrector. I also purchased a new SVBony IMX533 camera for £460 including a planetary camera and UV/IR filter - again, I could not resist a bargain. Finally, full price for a pair of Ha-O3 and SII-O3 6nm filters from Altair plus a new filter wheel.

Anyway, 15 hours of data over 2.5 nights, processed in PI. Colour is not quite as I would like, but I am still getting to grips with twin dual band filter processing. I might need to review my methodology. At least my stars are round🙂

Critical comment welcome as always.

IC 1396 Elephants Trunk.jpg

Not sure there's much to criticise here. Makes a mockery of my version but in a good way :)

did you buy the colour or the mono svbony camera?

I'm tempted by Altaur  c2 or D2 to compliment my ha/Oiii and try to escape my orange/brown palette.

I swear I could thread that eye so clear.

also carbon ftw :)

10 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Not sure there's much to criticise here. Makes a mockery of my version but in a good way :)

did you buy the colour or the mono svbony camera?

I'm tempted by Altaur  c2 or D2 to compliment my ha/Oiii and try to escape my orange/brown palette

I wouldn't be so critical of your own imaging. It takes time (and unfortunately money) to get the results. I have been doing it now for 4-5 years and I consider myself 'competent'. Your images are pretty good - especially when you get the integration time up. Processing is the skill which takes practice.

And yes, it is the colour SVBony camera. Dual band filters from Altair seem pretty good. The SII/O3 is worth having where there is a SII signal. Also gives you more O3 as both G and B channels for both filters are O3. However, with the single dual band filter, if you separate the Ha and O3 you can give the O3 more of a stretch and it will enhance the blue / greens.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Clarkey said:

I wouldn't be so critical of your own imaging. It takes time (and unfortunately money) to get the results. I have been doing it now for 4-5 years and I consider myself 'competent'. Your images are pretty good - especially when you get the integration time up. Processing is the skill which takes practice.

And yes, it is the colour SVBony camera. Dual band filters from Altair seem pretty good. The SII/O3 is worth having where there is a SII signal. Also gives you more O3 as both G and B channels for both filters are O3. However, with the single dual band filter, if you separate the Ha and O3 you can give the O3 more of a stretch and it will enhance the blue / greens.

I know you're not a beginner. I can tell from just looking at your images, let alone your advice on here :)

Hope I didn't offend, I really wasn't trying to compare my image to yours. Just that yours are something for me to at least aim towards. 

I've been playing with splitting ha/Oiii with mixed results. Some good some not. Plenty of pixel math expressions out there for me to play with.

5 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I know you're not a beginner. I can tell from just looking at your images, let alone your advice on here :)

Hope I didn't offend, I really wasn't trying to compare my image to yours. Just that yours are something for me to at least aim towards.

Don't worry, I certainly have not taken any offence - it was not meant to sound like that. Just be positive about your own imaging and keep asking the questions. You are definitely on the right track. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

Don't worry, I certainly have not taken any offence - it was not meant to sound like that. Just be positive about your own imaging and keep asking the questions. You are definitely on the right track. 

You didn't sound like it at all, sorry.

I just get concerned occasionally my posts might be misconstrued:)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

5 hours ago, Backyardscope said:

Was from Amazon or directly from SVBONY may I ask?

Direct from SVBony. At the moment you can get the camera for £486 with filter draw dual band filter. Still good value. If you do order use the shipping method where they sort out customs etc. Slightly more expensive, but you avoid any additional duty/tax.

SV605CC OSC Camera for Deep Space Astrophotography IMX533 - 7nm Dual-Band 1.25 inch Filter (svbony.com)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Direct from SVBony. At the moment you can get the camera for £486 with filter draw dual band filter. Still good value. If you do order use the shipping method where they sort out customs etc. Slightly more expensive, but you avoid any additional duty/tax.

SV605CC OSC Camera for Deep Space Astrophotography IMX533 - 7nm Dual-Band 1.25 inch Filter (svbony.com)

This seems quite the deal. I have the 2" version of the filter and so far good. Not much to compare it to from experience though