panel gap so big i thought it was a Tesla

not sure where the missing panel went i did get nina and phd2 freezing. thought i set it back to carry on but.....

just a quick stretch test (in sunlight so might be very over done). 40x120sec subs per panel  hopefully i can fill in the missing panel gap tonight :(

seems to look ok. if anyone in a semi dark place have a quick zoomin/look please lol? 

p123combinedback_stitch.thumb.jpg.a9df29258c2cb529b4f85e74c9595520.jpg

• Like 7

The join between the panels looks good to my eyes. Little bit of noise at the vertical join between left and right panel but nothitg that cant be handled by noise reduction tools. Add in the fourth panel and boost up the integration time across all panels and you should be good to go!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Richard_ said:

The join between the panels looks good to my eyes. Little bit of noise at the vertical join between left and right panel but nothitg that cant be handled by noise reduction tools. Add in the fourth panel and boost up the integration time across all panels and you should be good to go!

that's my plan :) i didn't crop any of the panels before gradient (what gradient? dnb filter ftw) removal for this quick test so im sure there's plenty of edge issues.  once i get my missing panel back and some more time on the other 3 ill put more effort into the post processing :)

also for panel joins...i just exported each panel as a tiff, selected all 3 then right mouse click send to microsoft ice, click next, click next, click export :)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

5 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

For only 1.5 hrs per panel that’s really good! Nice job.

ty. this filter seems pretty amazing. this is the first time i've seen a gradient in my dnb stacks and barely at that. hopefully my time dealing with huge gradients is over :)

3 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

ty. this filter seems pretty amazing. this is the first time i've seen a gradient in my dnb stacks and barely at that. hopefully my time dealing with huge gradients is over :)

Which filter are you using? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Which filter are you using? 

Svbony sv220 2" 

Bare in mind while I think it's great, I don't have experience with any other filters except my svbony UV/ir cut.

I'm going to get a 2" UV/ir cut I think

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elp said:

Told you it was worth getting one.

The signal is similar to an lextreme but difficult to compare in post processed images.

I can post some two minutes subs. Also some longer test subs if you want a look see?

I'm most surprised by lack of gradients, especially previous night when moon was on holiday. Bit more gradient last night but barely noticeable :)

• Like 1

The Optolongs have a habit of causing a green red gradient if there's any stray light in the vicinity, but they usually background extract okay, can always run BE on a per sub basis then stack. Very bright stars also cause halos.

On the veil the lenhance just about shows the main two structures after around 60-120s, with the extreme it pops out more and there's less background noise, the ultimate probably goes one step further.

• Like 1

There is a very bright star in witches broom in my 3/4 panel mosaic.

It looks like there's a small halo around it, but I've seen worse. Only 40x120seconds though.

I might try ic59/63 if I get a chance, but not tonight as forecast has changed from green to red :(

ok so i think this is the best i can do with data i have so far. fits header says 17160 seconds, but this image is made up of a main session just on ngc 6992 and the two overlapping panels from the above almost-mosaic. also went through astro sharp and then astro clean. i've even tried to upload a png not a jpg :) but i don't think SGL likes 111.9MB image file sizes :(

ngc6992hodgepodgedriz17160secishcropastrosharpandcleanhqjpg.thumb.jpg.ed56a9cad8196ddb83f7d9c2ca8cd501.jpg

• Like 2

On 31/08/2024 at 16:50, Elp said:

Told you it was worth getting one.

The signal is similar to an lextreme but difficult to compare in post processed images.

I also want an sii/Oiii filter to compliment it, but that will have to wait after a new mount and pixinsight. And after seeing the results I can manage. And after I do a 2 or 3 panel on m31

Turquoise and red I think looks good on veil nebula. Still struggling with that on ngc6888 though 

• Like 1

so i filled my panel gap last night before clouds arrived. its very sunny this morning, so i can't really do anything subtle until later. the missing panel doesn't quite fit, im hoping i just over cropped it a little.

bright star in the witches broom doesn't seem to have a huge halo. also can't decide between green/red or bluegreen/red :) stars might need a little boost in the new panel too. 

roughpreviewautocomplete.thumb.jpg.29e9707dc9eff85dfb868c4132212d64.jpg

roughautocompleteblue.thumb.jpg.0cfa75f1135301fa97afdef2ac145b2f.jpg

• Like 2

don't like the blue stars in the above. anyway i've re-re processed the missing panel and this seems pretty decent to me. ill try to re do 2 of the other panels using partial/overlapping subs, see how it looks. might even try stacking in Ha and Oiii but i quite like this result already.

image.thumb.jpeg.3a233b23892534923310070002c352bb.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Elp said:

You're getting good at this. Still have my doubts about ICE though.

Ty and I agree. With the ICE part at least ;)

Still as a free incredibly easy to use tool, ICE is very handy until I get pixinsight

2 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Still as a free incredibly easy to use tool, ICE is very handy until I get pixinsight

That's great that ICE is helping on DSO objects too.  I used it on moon mosaics a while back, but never thought of it for this - as you say, a solid substitute for you for now!

Really nice images above and good seeing it evolve.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, geeklee said:

That's great that ICE is helping on DSO objects too.  I used it on moon mosaics a while back, but never thought of it for this - as you say, a solid substitute for you for now!

Really nice images above and good seeing it evolve.

Thanks very much :)

• Like 1

ok so i stacked more time on top right panel, couldn't manage to do anything else. ran through astrosharp and astroclean but still noisy. seam down the center is apparant if stretched more. but i do quite like this image. 2 panel mosaics are more mobile viewing friendly though :(

i've tried to attach a png version but uploader doesn't seem to like  142mb files :(

veil4panelmosaicastrosharpandclean2.thumb.jpg.b23f3e9ce6ba6d4f904da07115c7eb15.jpg

• Like 1

Really great images and results from your dual narrowband filter. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the same filter, could I just ask are you seeing any halos on the brightest stars, there's nothing obvious or objectionable in your processed images, but this could be down to good/clever processing. Also how long did delivery take ordering direct from SV Bony, the 2" version currently on sale for £94 but its not clear if this includes postage vat and fees etc.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PhilB61 said:

Really great images and results from your dual narrowband filter. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the same filter, could I just ask are you seeing any halos on the brightest stars, there's nothing obvious or objectionable in your processed images, but this could be down to good/clever processing. Also how long did delivery take ordering direct from SV Bony, the 2" version currently on sale for £94 but its not clear if this includes postage vat and fees etc.

No they'll put so vat and postage on it as you check out.

The only bright star I know of in my images since I got the filter is in witches broom. I can upload some subs if you want?

I didnt do any clever processing. Starnet++ to remove stars and a bit of saturation and small asinh stretch. I don't even bother with unpurple to remove purple fringing now.

Bare in mind I'm a beginner. I think it's possible my focus was lacking a bit on witches broom, maybe that could reduce the halo effect ?

Also my filter draw is not right next to my camera, which was a mistake, but in hindsight it was obviously the ideal place ;)

Also I got the 2" perhaps that helps with halos too I dunno.

Cuiv got halos and I doubt I'm doing anything he doesn't apart from 2min subs?

Took 9 days from order to arrive. I paid for the no customs hassle optional extra but shouldn't have bothered.

think i paid £114 including the extra hassle free customs option, but i also got a single filter drawer holder for my svbony filter draw from them included in that.

apparently they have a sale on at the moment ;)

2024-08-30_22-48-51__-4.80_120.00s_0020.fits 2024-08-30_23-39-48__-5.10_120.00s_0039.fits 2024-08-30_22-07-34__-5.00_120.00s_0000.fits

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Thanks 1