M27

Astronomist

~700 x 360ms exposures at maximum gain, hypercam 585 on 10" manual dob

I had the exposure set too long as there is quite significant star trailing. Interestingly I found that for targets near the NCP I can get up to 400ms without trailing, whereas on targets further south like M13 I can only get just over 200ms, a surprisingly big difference. I would have let it run for a few hundred more frames but I ended up messing up the tracking and lost the target. 

M2720-08-24.jpg.a4913ef35ea334ddb35c564c8eb33782.jpg

• Like 8

Lovely image of M27. It's very similar to the image I captured trying out my EAA set up for the first time since the summer break. I only used about 50 x 5 second captures also in a 10" dobsonian although tracked. I particularly like the nice shade of blue on your image.

• Like 1

I was able to have another go at M27 last night under a lovely black moonless sky (rare in the UK!). ~2000 x 280ms exposures, the longest total exposure I have attempted so far. I don't plan on doing this often as keeping the scope on target for that length of time is kind of stressful...

M2724-08-2024.thumb.jpg.dba25041a720b6cda947604aa86fc2e4.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Astronomist said:

I was able to have another go at M27 last night under a lovely black moonless sky (rare in the UK!). ~2000 x 280ms exposures, the longest total exposure I have attempted so far. I don't plan on doing this often as keeping the scope on target for that length of time is kind of stressful...

M2724-08-2024.thumb.jpg.dba25041a720b6cda947604aa86fc2e4.jpg

How many did you take and how many did you stack? :)

Very nice image.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

How many did you take and how many did you stack?

I took around 2000 frames, I have no idea how many of those stacked but normally sharpcap drops maybe 1% of frames with my setup, so probably 1900 and something stacked.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Astronomist said:

I took around 2000 frames, I have no idea how many of those stacked but normally sharpcap drops maybe 1% of frames with my setup, so probably 1900 and something stacked.

Apologies I assumed you were trying "lucky imaging" :)