I just sold my 8" Dobson after 2 years of use - final thoughts

I'd like to make a small tribute to my first ever and in my view, the best all around telescope a beginner/intermediate can hope to have. 

Some key thoughts on why I believe the 8" DOB is such an amazing instrument.

• At about 23kg of total weight, it is very easy (well ok, relatively easy) to transport and use. It allows to comfortably sit during the entire viewing session on a simple drummer collapsible chair. It was quick to store in the car and drive outside of the city for a viewing.

• The price of 550$ brand new with shipping is a really nice price for any semi-serious hobbyist. I've spent more on three day skiing trips alone. I am selling it now for 400$, so the telescope has cost me only about 150$ for 2 years of semi-heavy usage. Like maybe 40 sessions under the stars.

• With a nice 2" focuser and the telescope operating at f/6 , I could buy a ton of budget eyepieces for like 600$ and learn a ton about telescope equipment. That knowledge has allowed me to later cull down all that stuff and buy few premium eyepieces for my f/5 12". I wouldn't have done it in any other way. Especially in the first few months/year , I couldn't care less that the stars at the edges were a bit smeared. I was too busy hunting down the whole Messier catalog

• Even though I couldn't do any DSO imaging, it was more than capable to get most of the Solar System. I enjoyed getting my first ever images of the planets, the Moon and the Sun as well. 

• It was relatively easy to design and operate an EQ platform with a single motor, unlike the 12".

• The Sky-Watcher offering is not bad but knowing what I know now, the GSO (Stellalyra) is so much much better because they offer a double speed focuser, it is a better focuser overall, a fan at the bottom, better Azimuth bearings and a 30mm SuperView eyepiece which alone costs like 90$.

Goodbye my dear 8", the time has come to part ways. The 12" is of course a much more capable telescope and I don't really mind the extra weight. But deep down I know there will be nights where I will miss just sitting at the top of my 8" and enjoying some wide field open clusters. Those were the most amazing in the 8".

Full review:

Edited by AstralFields
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I went from 8" to 12"and then settled with my 10" go to dobsonian. It does everything I ask of it. Hasn't stopped me adding another three scopes though 🙄.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1