NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Back in business with the Veil. Canon 300mm f2.8 finally pulling through.

pipnina

To cut a long story short, most of the issues I had with this lens once the lack of manual focus issue was resolved came down to the realization that my RisingCam 571, this whole time, had sensor tilt. And only now that I'd switched to a fast optical system was it so outrageously noticable!

I replaced the RisingCam with a ZWO 2600mm, which seems very nice but leaves me with rather empty pockets and a RisingCam that I don't know what to do with. I could sell it but who will want one with known tilt? Not to mention 2 years worth of use and wear from the elements (rusty USB ports), I don't imagine I'll have many takers.

The ZWO produces much better results but I suspect something's not perfect yet as stars look slightly different left vs right of the frame. Being an 80s lens, albeit an absurdly expensive one, there is some CA in the form of greeny and soft stars, but *most* of that is tidied up by blurx. I am tempted to see how the next model of it fares as it switched the optics up completely, but want to see some real use of this lens first.

I only got 9 minutes of RGB data on the veil the other night because I forgot to turn my dew heaters on, and it quickly fogged up! Despite this I have a usable image albeit with sat trails and a heavy denoise.

A_clone.thumb.jpg.b948f5ab692553deb05ce27d6ab6451f.jpg

• Like 6

Looking good for just 9 mins. 🙂 I'm assuming the EF auto focuser from Russia was a success.

Photoshop's 'Defringe' section of its camera raw filter, is very good at neutralising blue fringes by replacing it with the underlying colour. Here's your image with 1 click of defringe on the whole image. The blue in the nebula has been reduced a little, so for best results it's best to mask just the areas you want to correct.

imagedefringed.thumb.jpg.7ea0b808f57d61c8a122f4a89d44de4c.jpg

Alan

• Like 1