NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Roll off roof, “wonky wood!!”

Hi knowledgable people,

In my obsy build I’m currently thinking about the roof. 
We had an old summerhouse taken down and a garden office made. I’m using as much of that material as possible. 
Walls are up and I’m going to make an apex roof rolling off on a v groove rail and wheel set up as used in sliding gates. 

Here’s the question….

How much wonkiness is acceptable in the wood that the roof rolls off on?

I don’t have anything (new or old) that is properly straight. I did expect this but am wondering how to best manage it. The obsy length is 4m. 

I am going to buy more supplies but I do anticipate the same wonkiness. 

A little extra question …. 
I have a separate  obsy build thread. What is best etiquette? Do I post these sort of questions in here or there?

I have done it this time as a separate post as I thought it would maybe get more views and as there is less wading through content, quicker answers. 

thanks 

Anthony

I've overcome a similar problem by fixing one side 'rail' from the observatory so it remains fairly rigid whilst the roof rolls along it's track. The second side pivots from the observatory wall and is supported underneath to take the physical weight of the roof. but as the roof rolls over this side it can follow the shape of the track the wheels ride one/in and it 'wobbles' as required to keep the wheels and track fully engaged. I hope that makes sense?

image.png.97891d6dfffc25e8af8a4d7f9939a090.png

Edited by fwm891
image added

7 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

I've overcome a similar problem by fixing one side 'rail' from the observatory so it remains fairly rigid whilst the roof rolls along it's track. The second side pivots from the observatory wall and is supported underneath to take the physical weight of the roof. but as the roof rolls over this side it can follow the shape of the track the wheels ride one/in and it 'wobbles' as required to keep the wheels and track fully engaged. I hope that makes sense?

I get that. Thanks. BTW I had a look at you flickr link. That's an impressive set of images. Spotted the guitars you have made. Beautiful. That takes some skill. One of my pastimes is building electric guitars, winding pickups and making all sorts of jigs and templates with 3d printer/lasercutter/hobbyist cnc.

• Like 1