NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Takahashi FSQ-85EDX + ZWO AM5n + ZWO ASI2600MC Pro

Not a thing has yet arrived, the orders submitted to FLO within the last couple of days, but after attending a local club, and having borrowed a RedCat for a while I was lucky (in unfortunate circumstances) to have some money for my own equipment, and the shopping list is a nice one I feel.

What I'm going for:

• Planetary visual with the local group
  • Wide-field deep sky imaging whenever the opportunity happens
  • Both of these as a travel thing, I fly a lot and want to take this with me

The challenge isn't how to do visual plus imaging in a package, it's how to do it whilst keeping it small enough, capable enough, and weighing as little as possible, such that it can be done whilst travelling. This is where it hurts the pocket, aiming for around 15kg in total (everything needed) in 2 carry-on bags (1 hard, 1 soft under-seat).

What I've settled on is the Takahashi FSQ-85EDX for the scope, a harder choice was the mount and the AM5n is 2kg heavier than the AM3 but feels like the much safer investment.

I was going to try and use my Sony E-mount cameras for imaging, but the lack of ASCOM control made it hard, so I've relented and added a ZWO ASI2600MC Pro to the mix, with the choice of colour being to reduce the space and weight for travel scenarios so of course there's a broadband filter, the Optolong L-Quad Enhance, thrown in to handle light pollution.

The full shopping list is long, 30 distinct items and I haven't ordered luggage yet, big thanks to both Alex and Ian for spending a lot of time double checking details of various compatibility things.

As soon as I start receiving the things I'll post them to the thread, but a couple of critical adapters wouldn't be arriving for 5 weeks, and of course the AM5n only just got announced and stock availability is still TBD... but that's OK, there's no darkness in the South of the UK at the moment.

• Like 3

Sound list. The am5 certainly is future proof and is likely the best one mount solution at the moment, but for travel there is a big difference between the sizes of the 3 and the 5. My goto travel one is a hem15, and that is significantly less bulky than the am3, it also uses slightly less power so for imaging off site this is critical.

I think you'll be very happy, 80-90mm refractor is the sweet spot, I find my Z61 perfect for compact and can do most things (even planetary visual which are supremely sharp but small in FOV), the 85 sits below a 100mm refractor which I find is the sweet spot for size and aperture, for imaging however a shorter FL is preferred so I think you've made a very good choice.

14 minutes ago, Elp said:

My goto travel one is a hem15

this was on my shortlist with the huge advantage that it weighed least out of any of the mounts I considered. the reasons I didn't go for it were mostly uncertainty about my own travel scenarios and usage, the mount looked fine but the Latitude adjustment is 15-65, and I travel a hell of a lot, including frequent enough trips to Singapore, so this felt like a limitation that would hit me.

I figure the AM5 is excessive for my needs, but it's also likely to have the strongest secondary market value, so if I find it too bulky and heavy, and to really not be a fit for how I use it then it wouldn't have been too risky an experiment and then I can go back to looking at the HEM15, AM3 or RST-135

Totally understand. It was a consideration I made before I purchased it, as I doubted I'd frequent those latitudes it wasn't an issue, the ZWO ones would be the way to go then, the latter you can also quickly and easily use them as alt az mounts for visual.

Posted (edited)

Most bits have arrived, but frustratingly not everything... I'm awaiting a few adapters required to actually build the whole system (camera, asiair, guide, etc)... a couple of Tak specific adapters for the scope, and then the big missing thing is the mount as it's only just been announced and won't be in stock for a few more weeks yet.

I am already sensing that some of this is not as I desired, I ordered the Tak clamshell cradle and balancing plate, but it seems that there are few things that can fit to the top to allow extra things (the ASiair) to be mounted there.

What I really want is something like this: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/607404-takahashi-clamshell-accessory-plate/

What I suspect I'll do instead is to affix the clamshell to a larger Losmandy plate like the Primaluce 350mm dovetail plate https://www.primalucelab.com/dovetail-bars/losmandy-plate-350mm-plus.html as I can mount the ASiair behind the focuser with the clamshell cradle being more forward.

Now I have a good idea of the size I've also ordered a case, a Nanuk 935 https://nanuk.com/products/nanuk-935 looks able to take the scope comfortably and have enough space for the eyepieces and other optical equipment. It's just pluck foam, I'll see how I get on as to whether I wish to get a more firm piece of foam custom made.

Still the waiting game, I have about 60% of what I need, but it does include the scope and camera.

Edited by dee_

Posted (edited)

Or of course, figure out how to order things from Japan.

TB95N Tube rings http://k-astec.com/TB95N.htm with a http://k-astec.com/TP100.htm base plate and with a TTP60-117M-3M https://www.kyoei-osaka.jp/SHOP/k-astec-TP117M.html top plate would yield somewhere to put the ASiair that remains tidy and quick to pack down.

spacer.png

I can't trivially find a UK retailer for K Astec.

Edited by dee_
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well that was easy enough, found a friend who lives in Japan, can order from https://www.kyoei-osaka.jp/ , so a new shopping list is for:

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is far better than the Tak clamshell system, and I like the ZWO EAF clutch too, so that it can be left permanently installed and yet is trivial to switch back to manual for visual and a simpler mobile setup without unbolting things (the EAF will be along for the ride but not in the way).

Edited by dee_
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

It also looks very nice

I believe aesthetics of equipment to be necessary to having fewer clouds, darker nights, and enough power in the battery to get some exposures done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Diving right in with some classy kit!  Looking forward to seeing some shots in due course on LFGSS!

hi @dee_ - great scope choice.  I see you are as interested in AP as much as visual but i'm sure you will love it even "only" for visual. I bought mine for visual only (because its a short focal length and short physical package while still having a flat field) and within its aperture limitations i find it superb. For planetary with a binoviewer around x100 magnification i'm astounded with what i can see. It takes more magnification on planets but i like this ultra sharp "dense" view with two eyes. In my skies i get a black sky background around a 1.5mm exit pupil (or lower) and at this pupil with a moderately wide FOV, open clusters or coloured doubles in context or carbon stars in context are fantastic too.

I love the K-ASTEC rings and kit  - i didn't really know about them when i was mounting mine (so i use tak clamshells) but i've admired them (online) since and will be keen to see pics of yours when they arrive.

Enjoy!

12 hours ago, Ludd said:

Diving right in with some classy kit!

You know my spending habit from knowing the bikes I ride!

1 hour ago, josefk said:

I love the K-ASTEC rings and kit  - i didn't really know about them when i was mounting mine (so i use tak clamshells) but i've admired them (online) since and will be keen to see pics of yours when they arrive.

I really love the green Tak colour / paint, and the clamshell is gorgeous, I just dislike that I can't get enough things in this finish to solve all of the little issues I want to solve. Of the tube rings and more typical setups the K-Astec looks cleanest and solves most of the problems I've claimed are issues (where to mount the accumulation of imaging gear).

I have a bicycle that can mimic a traditional tourer, and yet it's ultra-modern and can do gravel rides at fast speeds. I view this scope's versatility like that... in a visual mode, manual finder, this Tak is just gorgeous and from your posts and a few others I was convinced in advance of the properties of it as a visual scope... and yet, with the 1.01x flattener it appears to claim to be this modern imaging scope, and the astrobin examples back that up. I'm really excited to just invest in one scope, and to have it be so multi-purpose, to have it in a grab and go bag and be easy to set up and dismantle.

IMHO, only the FSQ-106 could rival it in terms of versatility, but yet the FSQ-85 fits a carry-on bag.

I learned in the process the cost of these things. I came in thinking 50% on scope, 50% on mount / tripod... but now realise it's 50% scope, 50% mount / tripod, another 50% for camera, guide, power, and finally another 50% for all of the Tak adapters, the various eyepieces, and other accessories that are eye-wateringly expensive, but hey... double my original budget, but with a scope that will last longer than my lifetime, a bargain... if only it were dark and the skies were clear.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dee_ said:

I came in thinking 50% on scope, 50% on mount / tripod... but now realise it's 50% scope, 50% mount / tripod, another 50% for camera, guide, power, and finally another 50% for all of the Tak adapters

😂

42 minutes ago, dee_ said:

but with a scope that will last longer than my lifetime, a bargain..

i learnt the hard way and in several hobbies that the "cheapest" option (the real lifetime bargain) is to just buy the best you can possibly afford and that speaks to both head and heart and then use the heck out of it for a lifetime without regrets. I put the FSQ in that "head and heart" and "no regrets" bracket definitely.

1 hour ago, dee_ said:

You know my spending habit from knowing the bikes I ride!

I do remember a snazzy green machine on the observatory ride all those years ago