Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

lazy m31 mosaic

so on sunday night i took about an hour on m31. didn't want to rotate my camera + ota to frame it better as i just wanted to image something while messing with my guiding.

m3157x60sec.thumb.jpg.56b980c4e9c9bfa37124d54c2806c82d.jpg

was quite happy with the above quick stretch but didn't like cutting edges.

so last night i had the great idea of doing a 2 panel mosiac in legendary sequencers in nina, with 50% overlaps with the intention of processing them all into one single result.

didn't work. so i took each of the pp_lights from each night, put them into the sequencer and got the above histrogram result :)

ill see how visible the seam is after i post process :) can't seem to remove the accidental repost below :(

image.jpeg

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 2

Think that's a result. For mosaics I find the edge of one panel to another normally needs clone stamping to blend (whilst trying extremely hard not to destroy any alien civilisations in the process, or create them).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Elp said:

Think that's a result. For mosaics I find the edge of one panel to another normally needs clone stamping to blend (whilst trying extremely hard not to destroy any alien civilisations in the process, or create them).

above image was the quickest of quickest tests. only got a chance just now to have a quick first pass on it. but i think you're right. might be a fluke.

only problem i can see so far is the stack is same resolution as my sensor, so frames must have been scaled down to fit. even so i am quite chuffed right now. probably sadder once i have a go at it :)

core is a pita gonna have to watch some videos. also will try dithering the image for some extra er size. not resolution exactly :)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Now I'm not so sure I've done what I thought I done.

**** so i gave microsoft ICE a try and it stiches linear files in like 4 clicks. might not be perfect but if anyone wants to try a mosaic this might be the way.  stitches linear tiffs :)  just trying to process but no sign of a seam or stuff.linearstitch.thumb.jpg.d92e1a88706fcf3bb2f2d338eaa72d3b.jpg

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

microsoft ice seems nice. this is 3 panels combined linear data, just stacked using sirils with background extraction option. left is 20 mins center is 57 mins and right is 30 mins total, very approximate. can't see any obvious seams and its ok result for the total exposure time etc. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5a38f6df5a3fb396c5b2462a424327ce.jpeg

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Have you checked it against a manually aligned one? The output might look okay, but if you compare it to one you've done yourself you might find it's deleted lots of areas in the process, it did when I did my last mosaic, so I never used it again. Might be okay for daytime panos, but I don't think it works for astro, I'd be dubious of any software which doesn't have a plate solving or registration routine built in.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Elp said:

Have you checked it against a manually aligned one? The output might look okay, but if you compare it to one you've done yourself you might find it's deleted lots of areas in the process, it did when I did my last mosaic, so I never used it again. Might be okay for daytime panos, but I don't think it works for astro.

Nothing more than a quick glance. And it wouldn't surprise me it it's far from perfect. I'll use it hopefully with new camera in two panel test on m31. See how it goes.

M31 is about the only target I really want to mosaic. Plenty others fit square fov nice enough.

***** did a platesolve and it didn't flag anything up. hardly a thorough test though  https://nova.astrometry.net/status/10091723

spacer.png

Edited by TiffsAndAstro