NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The sun. Composite sketch

MZack

Using my Lunt 60mm and my Stellalyra 66ED on a Skywatcher dual saddled AZ GTXi. This was my first attempt at a composite sketch. Used the Lunt to see the prominences, long surface filaments and brighter surface areas and the ED 66 to position and capture the sun spots. X40 in the Lunt and x 25 in the ED. 

IMG_2056.jpeg

IMG_2052.jpeg

• Like 10

Very cool 'experiment'!! Did you draw back and forth between the eyepieces, or did all the Ha first and the white light first second?

PS: do you recommend the Stellamira 66ED for visual? It's on my shortlist but it's hard to find good reviews :grin:

3 hours ago, SwiMatt said:

Very cool 'experiment'!! Did you draw back and forth between the eyepieces, or did all the Ha first and the white light first second?

PS: do you recommend the Stellamira 66ED for visual? It's on my shortlist but it's hard to find good reviews :grin:

I did the sunspots first, then the prominences followed by the filaments and surface details. As they are close to each other physically I could swap between the two to check how objects lined up. I really like the ED 66. Well made “William Optics” build quality. Smooth focuser and comes in a good box for travel. Have used it for night use for wide field and lunar. 400mm focal length will still take medium to high powers but excels in the 15-50x range. Can’t comment for imaging though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwiMatt said:

Check out the scope on First Light Optics site. Only two reviews at present but both very positive. 

• Thanks 1

Had another go at a composite this time attempted using colour on textured paper. Same instruments as last time used to capture sunspots, filaments, prominences, brighter areas and surface detail. May range x20 to x40

IMG_2066.jpeg

• Like 4