NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to package dichroics for postage? Don't have original packaging.

I bought some chroma 3nm narrowband filters 2 years ago, but due to faster optics in my current setup I would need to replace them with a different type, which means I'll need to look at selling them.

Ideally I would be able to post them, but being so fragile and expensive as they are I would need to be able to package them so they both won't shatter AND won't get scratched by the packaging. Is this feasible or would I need to do "collection only" for items like this?

I would recommend buying some cheap, older filters of roughly the same diameter off of ebay that come with their original protective cases and just swap out the old filters for your fancy new ones.  Then, wrap those closed cases in closed cell foam sheeting and/or bubble wrap for shipment in an oversized box.  I've gotten dozens of filters shipped to me that way by various sellers without a single broken filter.

If the filters are unmounted, you'll want to ship them in either high grade lens paper folded tight around them or covered in heavy cling plastic sheeting to protect the coatings.

These:

https://www.printables.com/model/471145-standardised-2-telescope-astronomy-eyepiece-filter

Are borderline indestructible.  If you lack a 3D printer I can rattle off a couple.  Just need the thickness of the filter.

Also available in 1.25"

https://www.printables.com/model/368783-standardised-125-telescope-astronomy-eyepiece-filt

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 2

On 19/06/2024 at 14:13, Louis D said:

I would recommend buying some cheap, older filters of roughly the same diameter off of ebay that come with their original protective cases and just swap out the old filters for your fancy new ones.  Then, wrap those closed cases in closed cell foam sheeting and/or bubble wrap for shipment in an oversized box.  I've gotten dozens of filters shipped to me that way by various sellers without a single broken filter.

If the filters are unmounted, you'll want to ship them in either high grade lens paper folded tight around them or covered in heavy cling plastic sheeting to protect the coatings.

Yeah they're unmounted filters, so I suppose I'll need lens paper? I only see cleaning wipes on amazon so I suppose I will need to find a different supplier, do you know where to get it?

Thanks!

On 19/06/2024 at 14:49, Budgie1 said:

Are THESE any use, available in various sizes? ;) 

On 19/06/2024 at 16:13, Ratlet said:

These:

https://www.printables.com/model/471145-standardised-2-telescope-astronomy-eyepiece-filter

Are borderline indestructible.  If you lack a 3D printer I can rattle off a couple.  Just need the thickness of the filter.

Also available in 1.25"

https://www.printables.com/model/368783-standardised-125-telescope-astronomy-eyepiece-filt

Alas since these are unmounted filters the plastic boxes won't work 😕

At one point I considered selling the EFW as a whole, and since the filters are held inside it should have been safe. But that's £3300 of fragile filters and filter wheel at that point and so I would still be making a big assumption about the level of protection it would afford.

Unfortunately, I don't know where the commercial filter companies I've bought bare filters from get their lens tissue paper.  From my online reading, I think it needs to be acid-free.  Commercial suppliers (business to business) seem to be the best source.

The cling plastic appears to be called PVC cling vinyl.  It has the advantage of completely protecting against surface scratches while peeling away with no residue.  I've gotten some unmounted interference filters all the way from China without issue using cling plastic protection.  Again, it is only available from commercial suppliers.  The protected filter was then slipped into a zip closure plastic bag.

You'll still need heavy cardboard to provide stiffness to protect against bending.

Of course, you'll also want at least 3 to 5 inches of padded space around the filter(s) within the shipment box.