Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher Evostar 80ED vs Redcat 51 WIFD

Hi everyone,

At the moment I have a Sky-Watcher Evostar 80ED  for imaging and am considering selling it and buying the new Redcat 51 WIFD.

I want something a bit smaller, lighter and easier to set up, but I can't work out if I'll be sacrificing quality (which I don't want to do).

I do also have a Celestron Edge HD 8" for when I've time and energy to set it up, so this is more for when I want an easier time and if I go away. 

Any advice welcome,

Thanks 

You don't necessarily need the wifd version, normal version works fine I'd expect. Having owned a Z61 for years I can attest to it's quality, I also image at f3.9 with it so is the reason I don't have a Redcat, otherwise I'd likely have one.

Do you have camera lenses? Some of them work just as well for astro, the Samyang 135 is one of the best pieces for astro work full stop and it's not even designed for it, better than most telescopes for sheer size, weight, budget and the one most can't touch it for, speed. One thing a lot of people may not know, it's front glass is 60mm, so larger than the Redcat, but quality between units can be an issue, and expect tilt if you don't get into supporting and shimming the lens to the mount which the Redcat is supposed to be free of (ie nice flat field).

• Like 1

Thanks for your response!

I'm not only considering the WIFD version, the previous version is also a consideration, though I think for not a huge amount more the latest version would be my preference. 

Interesting suggestion for the Samyang 135. Back when I was using a DSLR attached to the Evostar I was considering this lens. Now I've moved over to CCD and I hadn't considered it coupled with the new cameras, but of course it would work if properly supported. Definitely worth considering, but I'm still not sure if this or the Redcat would be a step up from the SkyWatcher 80ED

The Samyang would be much faster at acquiring signal because how I believe it works, the larger the FOV, the smaller the targets within the FOV so you get more pixel response on a smaller pixel area so your signal becomes brighter in a shorter amount of time, add in then you take more images during the given time you get even more signal in a final stack. This is how I've witnessed it when imaging the same targets at different focal lengths, different apertures and the camera remaining consistent.

The Redcat I don't think will provide much difference from the 80 other than FOV increase and a slight speed boost. I'd look at a reducer for the scope instead.

Edited by Elp

My take on this is that changing to a Redcat 51 you will gain ease of use and wider field of view  at the expense of a significant loss of image resolution plus cost! It depends on what is more important to you. Both have decent quality build and optics.

Thanks to you both, you confirmed my suspicions. I'm looking for a more compact, quick start kit but maybe RedCat isn't the best option for this. I'll certainly consider the Samyang 135. Lots to think about