NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Relocating my guide scope and camera on a budget, lol

15 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Yeah, I wasn't keen on the idea either, but I had clear skies and had the bits to hand, and I wanted to try it !

In truth, I never had any issues with it slipping during the 12 months or so I that I used the scope, it worked on my HEQ5 with 6 minute exposures 🙂

its more the risk i'll knock it when setting up/down, which im very likely to do.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've used a bunch of options in my time, from under-slung 'grenade launcher' position, side-by-side, mounting rings, you name it. I've arrived at the conclusion that the best guide scope mount for a shorter focal length is a handle with integral dovetail clamp rail. This provides a good balance and mass centralisation, and helps reduce flexure. 

This can, however, be an issue with trackers, where you have restrictions on maximum weight, and also maximum lever arm. Placing the guide scope on top creates a significant increase in moment, which needs to be counterbalanced.  

IMG_20221103_090211.thumb.jpg.3a96579b359ba366d0750cbb9f0f8057.jpg

20231122_101427.thumb.jpg.ea6f70cd1c1bc7cfe5af8e1798734f77.jpg

Edited by 900SL
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I see in the second picture that you didn't use side tapped holes, which I did. 🙂

IMG_20240529_154643.thumb.jpg.dbf0264a3fdb333bb15385b9c53b95c2.jpg

Edited by Vroobel
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, 900SL said:

I've used a bunch of options in my time, from under-slung 'grenade launcher' position, side-by-side, mounting rings, you name it. I've arrived at the conclusion that the best guide scope mount for a shorter focal length is a handle with integral dovetail clamp rail. This provides a good balance and mass centralisation, and helps reduce flexure. 

This can, however, be an issue with trackers, where you have restrictions on maximum weight, and also maximum lever arm. Placing the guide scope on top creates a significant increase in moment, which needs to be counterbalanced.  

IMG_20221103_090211.thumb.jpg.3a96579b359ba366d0750cbb9f0f8057.jpg

20231122_101427.thumb.jpg.ea6f70cd1c1bc7cfe5af8e1798734f77.jpg

now i really want mine under slung "like a grenade launcher". 

i think my only/main issue with balance is with the scope off to the side, its tricky to balance and putting it up top, maybe down below keeps the mass mostly in a vertical plane even if its a little further from the ra axis. which i hope will help. i could add a counter weight opposite the guide scope but this seems harder/more expensive. i was hoping putting it up top would be and quick and cheap win, but im starting to think there is no such thing in this hobby.

i appreciate the photos a lot btw as i don't have much context for mine. 

your setup looks really good, but im intending to put a tiny pc on top too, with my usb as a placeholder in the meantime. 

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Vroobel said:

I see in the second picture that you didn't use side tapped holes, which I did. 🙂

something like this is what im aiming for but starting by velcro'ing my usb hub to the handle or maybe back of the top dovetail.

is that an intel nuc i see screwed on? because one of those or maybe a mele quieter is on my list.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

14 minutes ago, Vroobel said:

ah-ha! Side mounted due to balcony above obstructing guiding:

m1-10.thumb.jpg.cd74dcb82aeb26d2442a7cfe63bf4452.jpg

And here's a grenade launcher for Tiff. Didn't work out too well. Cables snagged

20230625-DSC_6024.thumb.jpg.14bcd54723f8a5baa099070a79ebb392.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

is that an intel nuc i see screwed on? because one of those or maybe a mele quieter is on my list.

It's Astro Gadget AstroPC. Good enough, but originally the antennas are very fragile, I broke them exactly like Cuiv did, but I was the first. :D Now it's fixed and much more solid than earlier. 

I also think about the Mele 4C, but shouldn't think too loud as long as the AstroPC works. :) 

Edited by Vroobel
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, 900SL said:

ah-ha! Side mounted due to balcony above obstructing guiding:

m1-10.thumb.jpg.cd74dcb82aeb26d2442a7cfe63bf4452.jpg

And here's a grenade launcher for Tiff. Didn't work out too well. Cables snagged

This was my original plan with camera lenses. Hadn't got as far as thinking about the wiring though :(

3 hours ago, 900SL said:

from under-slung 'grenade launcher'

😆 That’s a brilliant description! 

2 hours ago, 900SL said:

I know my ballhead idea is being knocked back, but I also mounted it on the screw at the bottom of the green rail you have here, which kept it out of the way. Great for camera lenses I found if you use a tripod ring, but it also worked with the 72ED:

My_Rig.png.e5bdfc69ce98a954f5242c800f2032f8.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

😆 That’s a brilliant description! 

I know my ballhead idea is being knocked back, but I also mounted it on the screw at the bottom of the green rail you have here, which kept it out of the way. Great for camera lenses I found if you use a tripod ring, but it also worked with the 72ED:

My_Rig.png.e5bdfc69ce98a954f5242c800f2032f8.png

I think for me a handle type dovetail that I can slide the finder scope type base of my guide scope into seems best solution for me.  Those handles have round holes not slots like a regular dove tail so I need to take care with measuring the distance between screw holes on my OTA rings.

Still might have a problem as the dovetail the OTA rings are currently attached to is not the longest, but does let me balance it on the mount.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I think for me a handle type dovetail that I can slide the finder scope type base of my guide scope into seems best solution for me.  Those handles have round holes not slots like a regular dove tail so I need to take care with measuring the distance between screw holes on my OTA rings.

Still might have a problem as the dovetail the OTA rings are currently attached to is not the longest, but does let me balance it on the mount.

All you can do is try. If you order from FLO and it doesn’t fit, you can always return it. The ones I’ve shown work but are not ideal, so if you don’t want to spend much at the minute (which I think you originally said), then there’s some options available to you in the interim 🙂 

Many ways to skin a cat, as they say 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

All you can do is try. If you order from FLO and it doesn’t fit, you can always return it. The ones I’ve shown work but are not ideal, so if you don’t want to spend much at the minute (which I think you originally said), then there’s some options available to you in the interim 🙂 

Many ways to skin a cat, as they say 🙂

Yeah I appreciate being able to return stuff but I don't want to set out with it being a likely result.

Just looking at the amount of stuff Flo lists on here at a  discount due to them being customer returns would do my head in if it was my business.

• Like 1

Yeah, I certainly wouldn’t do it on a whim, and I have returned items but only after I’ve had discussions with FLO prior to buying, and then subsequently found it didn’t fit as intended. I think I’ve done it twice, maybe three times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Yeah, I certainly wouldn’t do it on a whim, and I have returned items but only after I’ve had discussions with FLO prior to buying, and then subsequently found it didn’t fit as intended. I think I’ve done it twice, maybe three times.

Done it Flo with my original scope when I discovered the dew shield wouldn't come off and a rotator that simply wouldn't work with my set up. Flo were great, but I wouldn't want to make it a habit.

If you're unsure the simplest thing to do is get a piece of flat wood and drill two holes front and back (similar to the tubular rail suggested earlier), a few along it to then bolt the GS to it with a cap head screw or pan head, washer and bolt. Wood is easy to work with rather than aluminium, but I find it just as easy with aluminium, you just need a drill and drill bit. Literally a 2 second job if you've got all the bits at hand.

If not, take a few measurements of the existing ring spacing, whether you can move them apart or closer and find a rail/handle to fit. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

something like this is what im aiming for but starting by velcro'ing my usb hub to the handle or maybe back of the top dovetail.

I use a nuc.  Current plan is to mount it like this with my guide cam ahead of the nuc.  Might need to modify the 3D printed NUC bracket for more clearance.  Failing that I'll stick it on one of the scopes finder shoes.

I'm using the 210mm handle and dovetail on a 102ed f7

Messenger_creation_b36dcde5-9a05-49fc-a855-ee81b7951a51.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elp said:

If you're unsure the simplest thing to do is get a piece of flat wood and drill two holes front and back (similar to the tubular rail suggested earlier), a few along it to then bolt the GS to it with a cap head screw or pan head, washer and bolt. Wood is easy to work with rather than aluminium, but I find it just as easy with aluminium, you just need a drill and drill bit. Literally a 2 second job if you've got all the bits at hand.

If not, take a few measurements of the existing ring spacing, whether you can move them apart or closer and find a rail/handle to fit. 

Yeah I have some leeway but need to measure it and check.

A handle seems great, but a flat dovetail will make it easier to mount other stuff in future :)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

I use a nuc.  Current plan is to mount it like this with my guide cam ahead of the nuc.  Might need to modify the 3D printed NUC bracket for more clearance.  Failing that I'll stick it on one of the scopes finder shoes.

This looks shockingly close to what I'd like to do.

Also your daughter is doing a fantastic job :)

THe zwo f4 120mm scope I have  is screwed onto what looks like an inch long dovetail and that currently slides into my finder scope clamp.

I think I could glue or NASA velcro that to a nuc instead of any new fangled 3d printed bracket :)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

I think nuc weighs 260 grams which if true is pretty nice

1 hour ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I'll have a weigh of mine.  I like the fact they cost next to nothing second hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

I'll have a weigh of mine.  I like the fact they cost next to nothing second hand.

Hoping to find one on eBay for £30 ;)

My old Mac book I currently use is 2 core 4 thread so a 4 core 4 thread should be plenty for me.

4 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Mine is 650g without cables.  50g of that will be the dovetail adapter,  Mine is 5th generation.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Mine is 650g without cables.  50g of that will be the dovetail adapter,  Mine is 5th generation.

aw ty for this :) im sure i'd be fine adding that weight, just fastening it with velcro might be a bit riskier.

for the rest of my cunning plan, i think my green dovetail bar is perfect length. just need one m4 screw which is on its way to me from exotic watford.

the base of my guidescope almost fits into the top of that dovetail but there are two screw holes underneath so i might be able to work with that. if not ill attempt removing the finder scope from the side and try and screw that onto the green dovetail. job done.

im sure this will work perfectly 1st time no problemo :)