NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sol 2024.04.29 3 wavelengths

Posted (edited)

I am mostly a lurker, but I do image the sun's photosphere every clear day, in 540, 430 and 393 nm.

Here's today's images :)

Imaged with Borg 89ED and ASI 183MM, with Baader Solar Continuum, Altair G-Band and Antlia CaK filters. Scope on SW SolarQuest mount. 

Best 30 out of 1,200 frames for each run, processed on AS3!, IMPPG, PS and Photomator.

Cheers!

540 Labeled.jpg

540.jpg

430.jpg

393.jpg

Edited by nicoscy
  • Like 10

Thanks Luke,

Well, this being Cyprus, lots of clear mornings. Favorite time is shortly before work, which starts at 08:00. Decent seeing at that time, heat still bearable in the summer...

Five times a year, huh? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Great images Nicos. 👍

What's the weight of your Borg 89ED with imaging kit on the SolarQuest?

I'm using an Evostar ED80 with a Lunt 2" wedge, SensoSesto autofocuser and AS174MM, all up weight of 4.7kg and was wondering if the SolarQuest could handle it ?

Currently using a HEQ5 but thinking about the SQ for ease of set up and more portability.

Regards

Pete.

Edited by Hals

Hi Pete,

3,116 grams fully loaded. The quoted limit is 4,545 grams, but you balance well, it should work just fine hopefully.

Cheers!

IMG_4985.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hals said:

Excellent thank you 👍

Photo of your setup? Maybe there is some fat to remove, like shorter dovetail or whatever, to reduce the weight a bit more!

I could ditch the autofocuser to save about 380g but it's really convenient to use especially because  I still use the 80ED for nighttime imaging. Think I'll be ok as is, looking on CN and around the web people have used heavier rigs successfully on the SQ.  

Posted (edited)

Fair enough - mine is solely for solar use (or so I say) and I can focus fairly easy so no need to add another piece of kit. For nighttime use it's a must though.

You should be fine :)

Here's my full rig which goes on the windowsill every morning! 

IMG_5010.jpg

Edited by nicoscy
  • Like 2