Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Veil Supernova Remnant

Images taken on the 16th May under a waxing (59%) gibbous Moon in my Bortle 5 garden.

I used my Redcat51, Zwo ASI 294MC Pro camera and HEQ5 Rowan belt modded mount. The L-eXtreme filter was also part of the imaging train.

I managed 40 subs of 240sec duration (2.67hrs) along with calibration frames. I used Siril to stack the images and Photoshop CS along with StarnetGUI and GraXpert to process the final result.

The Veil Supernova Remnant is the remains of a massive star that exploded approx. 8000 years ago in the constellation of Cygnus (it is also known as the Cygnus loop as a result) and lies about 2100 light years from earth.

It's big, measuring 110 light years across, which is about six full Moons in our night sky and this made it a nice fit for my telescope / camera combo!!!

Hope u like - CC's welcome.

The Veil Supernova:

VeilNebulaWeb.thumb.jpg.9ab9da32c779d5d60a9e52bf5009c456.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Looks fantastic and under 3 hours too.

I actually like what I achieved in two hours with a dslr, but it's maybe 1% the quality of your result :(

Thanks. Lots of OIII and Ha there makes it a good target for where I live where decent night sky quality is rarely more than 3hrs!! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to run the data through Siril Ha OIII extraction script and then re-built the image through Sirils RGB composite tool. I ran this through Photoshop CS and did some colour balancing to achieve 'nice colours'!!

I rather like this new reiteration of the Veil!!

CC's welcome!

The Veil Nebula:

VeilNebulaSHOWeb.thumb.jpg.be85b78998b3874ef8bcc133237bfe1d.jpg

• Like 3