Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

180 Maksutov Electric Focuser.

bosun21

Posted (edited)

Fitted the Skywatcher motor and the 4tronix controller to the 3D printed bracket and relevant fittings kindly shipped from Portugal by Vasco Ribeiro. I have previously obtained kits for my 127 and 150 SW Maksutovs as well as a Celestron 8SE (C8). He can also supply the motors and controllers with the mounting kits if you so choose. I like the fact that I can just slide the belt off the pulley teeth and use the manual focuser for large adjustments to the focus point. I also like the 4tronix controller as it allows me to adjust the minimum speed that the slowest selection button normally provides. This is great for planetary imaging where the smallest tweaks are desired when teasing out details of the planets surface. I have still to adjust the controller for even slower speeds. The most important factor is no more vibrations or batteries.

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 5

I went the extra step with my Mak180Pro and fitted the SW focuser to the visual back (https://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_accessories-focusers/dual_speed_2_crayford_focuser_for_sct_telescopes.html)and then fitted the focus motor to that , it leaves the stock focuser completely independent with no need to remove belts for coarse focusing.

It allows for much , much finer focus control , especially when controlled remotely from the laptop as mine is , and easy rotation for camera alignment without shifting focus.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

I went the extra step with my Mak180Pro and fitted the SW focuser to the visual back (https://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_accessories-focusers/dual_speed_2_crayford_focuser_for_sct_telescopes.html)and then fitted the focus motor to that , it leaves the stock focuser completely independent with no need to remove belts for coarse focusing.

It allows for much , much finer focus control , especially when controlled remotely from the laptop as mine is , and easy rotation for camera alignment without shifting focus.

I did consider fitting a dual speed focuser to the visual back but decided not to at this point. I can also use my laptop to focus with the 4tronix controller but as the SW motor isn't a stepper motor I don't see the point. I also didn't want to add more weight at the rear of scope as it's basically at the end of the vixen dovetail as it is with the diagonal, heavy eyepiece and finder etc. I also don't remove the belt for manual focus I just merely slip it aside off the teeth of the pulley. The pulley has been made to facilitate this with additional room for the belt. In saying all this, further down the road I do intend to fit an external dual speed Baader Steeltrack focuser along with flocking the tube and baffles, fitting a losmandy plate with rings. I don't like the Vixen rail as it is.  I will definitely be doing these mods in the near future however my focus is on saving for a decent refractor of between 120-130mm for visual and EAA 

• Like 1

My motor is controlled by Dion's Homebrew controller , the chap from the Astronomyshed forum.

The software was written by Robin Glover , the creator of SharpCap and the finesse of the control is beautiful.

I have the motors fitted to my ED80 , Tal100RS , Mak180Pro , 200PDS and Evostar150. 

The lightweight control box I just strap to the OTA and plug it in , runs off a 9V battery that lasts months between recharging even through the winter months.

To be able to tweak focus from the end of a long USB lead , well away from the mount is the one thing I'd definitely recommend to anyone doing Solar , Lunar or Planetary imaging.

I'd never be without it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

My motor is controlled by Dion's Homebrew controller , the chap from the Astronomyshed forum.

The software was written by Robin Glover , the creator of SharpCap and the finesse of the control is beautiful.

I have the motors fitted to my ED80 , Tal100RS , Mak180Pro , 200PDS and Evostar150. 

The lightweight control box I just strap to the OTA and plug it in , runs off a 9V battery that lasts months between recharging even through the winter months.

To be able to tweak focus from the end of a long USB lead , well away from the mount is the one thing I'd definitely recommend to anyone doing Solar , Lunar or Planetary imaging.

I'd never be without it.

That seems ideal Steve, and as you say focussing while at a distance from the mount is far superior. I will have to have a look at the Astronomy Shed forum. Thanks.

30 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

That seems ideal Steve, and as you say focussing while at a distance from the mount is far superior. I will have to have a look at the Astronomy Shed forum. Thanks.

I know I had the last of the batch of controllers he built about 12 years ago now , not sure whether he ever made any more though.

I know Dion was ill some time ago and I fear the worst as the forum appears to be no more ... 😲

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My fears are unfounded , Dion's alive and well , just found him on Facebook ... 😉  

It seems he's more into metal detecting these days ... 😊

Edited by Steve Ward