Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 1579 Northern Trifid Nebula

This is some data which I've managed to rescue, well somewhat, that was captured back in January. I was nearly not going to post it, but what the heck.

Through all of my processing through Siril and GIMP I couldn't get much out of this data at all, compounded by noise, star halos which I suspect came from the filter and other issues, so I gave up on this target a while back to focus on others.

I decided to run it through PI whilst I still have it on trial, and I've managed to get something from it at last. Mostly thanks to Blur and Noise XT I have to say.

I captured 127 x 180s images on 18th January (half Moon) and then a further 38 x 300s on 26th January (Full Moon)! Why I did this I can't recall, but with hindsight, I suspect a lot of my data has been lost not only by the Moon phase, but by underexposing whilst I had better conditions during the lesser Moon phase. This, I suspect, has also had a detrimental effect on LBN 766 (which Stellarium lists as the blue reflection nebula to the top-left of NGC 1579, and so in a different location to PI's annotation).

It might just be that this is a fainter target than I first thought, but for 9.5 hours of data I was expecting a bit more. In any case, I may pick this one up again towards the end of the year when Perseus is better placed in our skies.

ASI-585mc + Askar D2 filter, Starfield 102.

152a-28-04-24-NGC1579NorthernTrifidNebula.thumb.jpg.1dd724294f1b527ed2475f7f86e84672.jpg152aa-28-04-24-NGC1579NorthernTrifidNebulaAnnotated.thumb.jpg.17fb95fe270ee0b50dee0805057337d5.jpg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Nice! Must have a look at this one.

Olly

Thanks Olly. If you do take a look at it, I'm sure the RASA will do a great job 👍

• Like 1