NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen GP mount upgrade, need help.

I’m considering upgrading my Vixen GP mount from a single motor, original, to a dual motor setup as illustrated in the picture below.

I need some help in deciding if this kit is suitable and what other cables/software do I need to go with it. 

My first use will be for visual observing then perhaps astrophotography if it’s suitable for that.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

chaz

IMG_7946.jpeg

• Like 1

Which kit are you considering?  The kit in your picture does not include a USB Type-A to USB Type-B (printer) cable but many of them do.  You will also need a power cable that has a male DC5521 connector on one end to supply 12 volts to your control unit.  The other end of your power cable will connect to your power supply. 

I used the more expensive EQStarProEQ5 kit to upgrade my Vixen GP.  It came with a USB cable and a simple hand control, but I still had to purchase a power cable.  I spent the extra money for the refined AstroGadget kit that includes a user manual and technical support.  However, the Onstep kits seem like a great bargain if you are willing to do some research and provide your own technical support. 

My EQStarProEQ5 kit is INDI, EQMOD, and ASCOM compatible.  The controller appears to be a SynScan compatible telescope mount to my software.  I used a mobile app to connect to the built-in Wi-Fi so that I could control my mount with SkySafari and Stellarium.  It also connects to my PC and ASIAIR with no problem.

If your documentation for that Onstep controller says that it is INDI, EQMOD, and ASCOM compatible, then you should share the same capabilities as my AstroGadget kit. 

Don

EQStarPro Kit.jpg

• Like 1

That’s the best reply I could ever to expect! Yes to all of that.

I have SkySafari 7 pro as well as stellerium. Astrosurface is another I’m currently studying.

Ascom, eq mod and indi are already installed on my laptop.

Power supply is something I’m not short of and I do have a bunch of cables around, I just need to check that they’re the right ones.

The picture is one I grabbed off Google and is not the actual one I’m intending on buying. I have seen a long list of the onstep  products, the one you have is the one to get.

Thank you don for taking the time to reply to me, I may need your assistance later if your willing.

clear skies to you,

chaz

• Like 1