CCTV

tinvek

hi has anyone bought a cctv system to install themselves/ my parents are looking for a multicamera system and i wondered if anyone had any experience of one with their obsys

I have used a wirelss system but in built up areas you can have problems getting enough free channels if other people are using them in your area... you can also get interference from other 2.4 GHz kit If you want a decent relaible picture then go wired... anyone with a reciever can view your wirelsss system video and you can even get a device which looks like a Nokia 6600 thats a moitor...

Peter...

I've set up my own wired system from stuff i've bought on ebay. Works a treat for the past 5 years.

If you choose this diy route, a few good pointers:

For outdoor use, always buy infra-red ccd cameras with auto backlight compensation. These give a good image which stays at the same light level day or night.

I started with the cheap cmos type and as soon as the sun came out, no picture. these are only of some use in a steady lit environment.

Always buy cable with shielding for the AV signals. this can be the most expensive buy but worth it.

You will need a cctv multiplexer and perhaps a cctv video recorder, I think I paid about £60 for those so not that expensive for secondhand items.

The reason I chose to use a video recorder over the computer digital storage method is that I read somewhere that if the data has to be used in a court of law, the only currently accepted evidence has to be time and date stamped on video tape. Whether this has since changed would be something to investigate.

Hope this helps

John

Archived