Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon - 40% Waxing & Jupiter's moons

Mandy D

I dragged the 200P out for the first time in weeks, tonight and grabbed a few shots of the Moon. Then I turned the telescope to Jupiter and grabbed a quick image of it in the twilight. I really didn't expect to capture any moons, but I got all four Gallilean ones- G, E, I, C from top to bottom.

20240414_Luna_2138_Copyright.JPG

20240414_2231_G_E_J_I_C.JPG

• Like 4

I like the moon. Was that one image or stacked? ( If the clouds ever part here the I'll shoo the spiders out of the TAL and have a go myself 😁 )

@John_D That was a single image. I had numerous problems that prevented a stack, last night, despite the lovely clear skies and high Moon. For some reason the D800 decided to switch itself to auto-ISO mode, which is a mode that I never select. It's done this a few times, now and I have no idea why or how. I ended up throwing half the images away due to over-exposure. On some it went up to ISO-1600, despite being set to ISO-100. Then, AS!3 failed to stack the images properly, something it seems to do more and more recently, so I took the best image as identified by PIPP and proceeded to process that in GIMP to get the best result I could.

I'm hoping to have another go at the Moon, tonight. I hope you get clear skies, soon, but looking at your location, I guess you don't do too well with the weather.

2 hours ago, Mandy D said:

I'm hoping to have another go at the Moon, tonight. I hope you get clear skies, soon, but looking at your location, I guess you don't do too well with the weather.

Computers eh, what you gonna do? That looks great for a single image though

Yeah the weather has been particularly annoying recently. I had to go out tonight but when I got home the sky was clear. It was blowing a gale but my normal observing spot is pretty sheltered so I thought I'd give it a go. However ( you knew that was coming ) I looked in the direction that the wind was coming from and there was a giant bank of cloud moving in - think alien spaceships in Independence Day. So that was that :( 

• Haha 1