NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing help

Hi my name is Ashley and I live in the United Kingdom.   I am disabled and use a wheelchair.  I like astronomy but I can't go outside to stargaze at night as the cold weather makes my disability worse.   I want to enjoy astronomy from inside the house from my home computer.  I have looked at a few online telescopes and I signed up to one of them but how do people enjoy astronomy from indoors at the computer?   I saw on earthsky the moon and Jupiter is it,  are in the sky but I cant see them. Is there a robotic telescope that let's me look at any object not just certain images selected by a telescope??  I looked at the website called MicroObservatory, they gave 2 robotic telescopes which are free to use, you just select a highlighted object and the telescope will capture that image and email it to you  the next day.   I don't know what to use for the best??   

• Like 1

Hello Ashley.  Consider the ZWO Seestar S50 robotic scope.  Not a visual instrument but image presented on phone or tablet.  Once set up (I understand a fairly easy process), you can control from the house.  There are certain parameters to be worked with but I would imagine could serve your purpose.  Not fully conversant with its operation, I would not like to say further but reviews including Utube I’m sure will answer your questions. The DWARF 2 amongst others is a similar scope.  Can others confirm my comments.  Hopefully the warmer months may allow to observe in the open without discomfort

• Like 2

Hi Ashley

Not all astronomy is visual, much of the work is understanding the principles of space itself. I am fascinated by numbers, distances, the scientific data. I am hopeless with mathematics and science but realising the basics can enlighten the mind.

There are some superb and free astronomy applications that can delve deeper than any small telescope can. One of my favourites is mythical knowledge, understanding why certain stars and constellations are called what they are, in short Astronomy is for everyone, knowledge is gained by understanding. Delve deep and keep facinated. All the best.