NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SGL suggested cable tie for fine focusing

I read an earlier post about using a cable tie to help with fine focusing. I have just tried it out and what an amazingly great recommendation. A real game changer for me!

Whoever suggested this needs a medal!IMG_8748.thumb.jpeg.b8629584d3a2f15ea7e3b016c6bbe768.jpeg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

I've also seen a wooden chopstick (I guess you have to drill a hole in the knob) and a slice of foam swimming pool noodle slipped over the knob.  The cable tie worked well when I had a Mak.

Since my 127 Mak's focuser shaft's rubber grip split and wouldn't stay on anymore, I wrapped racquet grip tape around the bare shaft.  I then slipped a shortened handlebar foam grip over the grip tape.  All of that foam and foam tape really help to limit the transmission of vibrations when focusing.  I still put Sorbothane pads under each tripod leg to dampen residual vibrations in about a half second.  If I touch the foam lightly enough, I can fine-tune focus without transferring vibrations.

• Like 1

BTW, with the skywatcher at least,  the fine focus issue that remains is the target moving in the fov as focus is shifted the other way, as a result of the way the mirror is moved.  So I've bought a baader t2 diagonal with a focusing ep holder. Yet to try it but expect it to solve that issue but it feels a bit stiff so I may end up preferring the peg.

I must be lucky as I have barely had any image shift with the three Maksutovs I've owned. I do however fit electric focus kits to them. I have just received the kit for my new 180 which I will fit later. The only image shift I seen in the 180 was while collimating it at 432x. Even then it was really small just moving it off the direct centre. 🤞