Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mak127 finder position

Yes I know  but no,  not that usual question.  I know there are 2 version of the ota which put the finder shoe in different spots,  one which I have which with the dovetail at the 3 o'clock position when stood behind the scope,  puts the shoe at 10 ( for attaching to the lhs of a mount like the gti), and the other which is designed to be mounted to the rhs of a mount, dovetail at 9 finder shoe at 2 ( but if mounted to lhs it puts the shoe at a difficult to use 8 o'clock.) 

My question is why is the shoe so far to the rear?  I'm left handed and view left eye so not really a problem but when I had other family members who are right eye dominant at the eyepiece I realised that the finder scope made viewing awkward for them, with their right eye on the ep the back of the finder scope was jabbing their forehead just above their left eye, or their left cheek,  depending  where they stood.  Now partly this was down to where I had rotated the ep to 11 ish o'clock as I had another ota on the other side of the gtix so I was viewing  stood to the left side not directly behind,  plus with mum shorter than me that position and rotate the ep round to 9 or 10 made the height work for her.   However I was left thinking,  why isn't the finder shoe further forward on the tube so that it's not in the way?  I was using a 90⁰ finder, but looking at photos such as here 

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-skymax-127-azgti-telescope.html?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwtqmwBhBVEiwAL-WAYafYk7un4Cy8O1sUgwzJhixailxfQPfVA3bdbTSB1R1mOiJ11kOjuBoCIZcQAvD_BwE

A red dot would also be in the way I reckon.  Maybe if the shoe were further forward it would make a straight through finder hard to use but...well I'm thinking shoes are cheap,  I'll get one and attach it further forward. 

Or am I just missing something silly!