Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Adapting a HEQ5 to the TC40 tripod?

Just realized how anti-transport the HEQ5's original tripod is, I was wondering if there is a ready-made adapter that is compatible with the ZWO tc40?

Could this adapter be your solution?   It should be compatible with the PE200 pier extension as well.  With both, your setup would become a quick affair with a trio of levers to flip instead of a screw to center and thread.  

I store and transport my TC40 with the PE200 attached.  The assembled components are still compact and easy to handle.  

I noticed several similar adapters on the page that I linked.  Please let us know if this part works for you. 

Don

IMG_4028.jpeg

Looks interesting, thank you! I was wondering if it goes in place of the 85mm diam. mounting pan or just screws on top of it: former would be of course the proper solution.

18 hours ago, GTom said:

Looks interesting, thank you! I was wondering if it goes in place of the 85mm diam. mounting pan or just screws on top of it: former would be of course the proper solution.

This piece is an 85mm aluminum puck that is similar to the kind that come with the TC40 and PE200. The difference is that this part includes the alignment post that Vixen family mounts use as an azimuth anchor.  These pucks are designed to slide into the top of the tripod so that they can be secured.  

Mating the adapter to the mount is accomplished by slightly different methods depending upon whether you use the PE200 or not.  When you use a plain TC40, the mount and puck assembly is secured by the tripod spreader bolt and a single locking lever.   With the PE200 installed, you simply use a trio of locking levers to secure the mount and puck assembly.  

I am curious about the procedure for azimuth adjustments with the PE200.  The Vixen mounts and their clones have a moderately fussy process for fine azimuth adjustments.  Because the axial mounting bolt also supplies the clamping force that locks the azimuth, you must loosen it before the adjustment screws will function.  Similarly, the bolt must be tightened after azimuth adjustment is done.  However, the axial mounting bolt does not appear to be accessible when the mount and adapter assembly is clamped atop a PE200 pier adapter.  

Don

• Like 1