NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Double stacking Sky-watcher AZ mount Extension Tubes

Hi All

I have a ZWO TC40 Tripod with Sky-Watcher AZ mount Extension Tube, on top of which sits a Giro II Mini mount with TS80APOF6 telescope and counter weight, say <6Kg in all. Its a bit too close to the ground for me. Does anyone know if its OK to double-stack the Extension Tubes - or will I get too much vibration? Has anyone done this with similar weight equipment? I'll use it for my visual grab and go at powers up to 160x. I tried using it sitting on a low naughty step, which was OK getting my eye to the eyepiece, but then had trouble getting up again ☹️

I'll defer to more knowledgeable folks, but I'd be leery of doublestacking the extensions.  Seems like the stability would be marginal.  Maybe you could fabricate a sturdier DIY of some kind that would give you the needed height?

The other thought I had was to elevate the tripod on some kind of platform and sit off to the side, but that would likely limit the grab-n-go ability.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1