Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Eclipse Calculator/Simulator added to PS Align and Xasteria Weather Plus (iOS)

In a couple of weeks, I will be crossing the pond for a total Solar Eclipse. It will be my second time doing so - last time, in preparation for the 2017 eclipse, I developed the day alignment tool for Polar Scope Align Pro (PS Align). It worked great for aligning my Star Adventurer for the duration of the eclipse and it's been popular with users of the app since.

This time, I thought I'd add some Solar Eclipse calculations. First of all a new calculator is added to find the next eclipse given a starting date for the selected location, and open it in a simulated view, with a slider giving you control of the time:

SimulatorScreenshot-iPhoneSE(1stgeneration)-2024-03-19at18_14.27copy.png.732145ef0cb139069f63f337bcad25b8.pngSimulatorScreenshot-iPhoneSE(1stgeneration)-2024-03-19at17_56_14.png.dea4cecf0fdc4735ec5daa049fb211d6.pngSimulatorScreenshot-iPhoneSE(1stgeneration)-2024-03-19at17_55_55.png.427db483cddfa61526e2eccce3fa867d.png

The base calculator is even available on the free version. The Xasteria Plus Astro Weather app (also integrated in PS Align Pro) is also updated to show the eclipse type and maximum time on the weather forecast and includes a tool that displays the future eclipses of the selected location. Since most of us here are in the UK and US eclipses are far away, how about visiting one of the territories instead in the future. Here's the view for Gibraltar:

SimulatorScreenshot-iPhoneSE(1stgeneration)-2024-03-25at14_47_20.png.bb7fd8ae14e2c514ba426dc8a993f92a.png

There's a nice one in 2027, although a trip to Spain in 2026 is probably a good idea as well ;)

Apologies, the app is only for iPhone/iPad.

If anyone wants to be part of the beta test list that gets these sort of updates during their development, you can message me with an email address to add you (it's through Apple's TestFlight which requires iOS 13). Although it will be a month or two until I start developing the next version probably (trip and all...).

• Like 1