NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Brief trip along the terminator.

The Warthog

As tonight was clear, and there is no guarantee of clear weather in the near future, I went out tonight and set up my Newt, tired though I was. I did a short survey of the terminator at 100x, and then popped in my Barlow. The seeing was terrible, and the features of the surface were fairly boiling, but I started with Plato, now well away from the terminator, but distinctive with its dark, flat floor, and took in Montes Tenerife just south of Plato, the mountains I call the 'bird's foot' because it looks like one.

Moved on to Sinus Iridium (Bay of Rainbows) which has just fully emerged from shadow. Iridium has horns at either end - Cape Laplace and Cape Heraclide, named after a French and a Greek mathematician. Heraclide is the western of these. They are very interesting once you know they are there.

Moving southward from Sinus Iridium, there are two distinct ridges running north-south, which I can't find names for. I'll have to look in some other sources tomorrow. The easternmost of these stops at a small crater nemed for Caroline Herschel, the sister of Mr. Herschel, and quite a looker from the pictures I've seen.

Still further norht are two craters that look like pock marks on the lunar surface, two high walled craters that stand almost 3,000m above the floor of Mare Imbrium. The laarger of the two is Delisle, and the smaller is Diophantus, named after a really boring Greek mathematician.

Going norht again, you get Crater Euler (pronounced 'oiler') and named after, what else, a mathematician. Just west of Euler is a formation that looks a bit like a worm casting, but is, in fact, Mons Vinogradov.

That was about it for me, as I was pretty tired. There are some nice large craters to the south, but I didn't bother with their names today, other than Hainzel, a favorite of mine, with its elongated shape consisting of two same-size craters, and some associated craters in the walls and surroundings.

Hoping for clear skies and better seeing in the next lunation.

Thanks for the report, WH. Clear skies with bad seeing.. one out of two isn't bad, I guess you didn't see Plato's internal craters then, lol. Regarding the names of those wrinkle ridges, the Univ. of AZ's Quad maps don't have a name listed for them and neither do the LAC charts. Maybe they're the northern extension of Dorsum Heim?

Archived