NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 1000d/450d Settings

I have a shiney new Canon 1000d, and have just started using it for astrophotography. I would find it really useful if other owners (1000d or 450d or equiv) could post what settings they use on the camera for DSO's etc. As much detail as possible, to the dark corners of the menu system!

I have the 400D does that count? Here's some settings that I always use for DSO's. There is no 'magic formula' in this field but here's what I do...

Mode: Manual (Bulb)

Quality: RAW mode

ISO: 800 (I find the ongoing battle with noise is harder @ ISO 1600)

Auto Power Off: 15 minutes (dont want it powering off between exposures, especially if remotely taking them)

Custom Functions

-Long Exp Noise Reduction: Off (I only turn this on if I dont have time to do darks myself afterwards)

-Mirror LockUp: On

As a side note I also press the display button to turn the LCD off. Leaving it on means it lights up between exposures causing more internal heat and also taking more juice out of the battery.

Cheers

Matt

Very similar for me. I have the 450D.

- Manual

- RAW + JPEG (for quick viewing of images)

- ISO: 1600 (will try lower ISO once I have a guidescope)

Turn the LCD brightness right down so it doesn't blind you when you do need to use it.

Get the Canon software loaded onto your Laptop and use their software to shoot a sequence of images.

Robert.

Archived