Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO AM3 for Visual/EAA

• 2 weeks later...

My AM5 does visual duty sometimes because I am done with carrying counterweights if I can help it.  Functionally, there should be hardly any difference between an AM3 and an AM5.  I have been experimenting with different polar alignment systems and plate solve enhanced GoTo.  

So far, the Polar Scope Align Pro utility for Daytime Polar Alignment is the quickest way to get my setup close to polar aligned.  This has been my experience for daytime and nighttime use.  When rough polar alignment is adequate, it may be enough.  Otherwise, I use my ASIAIR and guide scope/guide camera combination to get perfect centering, every time.   Between software assisted polar alignment and plate solve refined GoTo targeting, it may be worth it to install the ASIAIR and camera for nighttime visual use.  

The images down below show the aiming screen for Polar Scope Align Pro and the 3D printed bracket that I use to attach my iPhone to my mount.  Asides from holding the cell phone securely, the main purpose of the bracket is to get the sensitive compass away from the metal and magnetism of the mount. 

Don

PS Align Pro 04.PNG

Polar Scope Align Pro Bracket 01.jpg

Edited by Celerondon