NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SH2-157 The lobster claw

The lobster claw in SHO palette with HOO stars. Although HOO stars are better than SHO, I think that I should really try to take half a hour worth of data in RGB for the stars from now on...

Equipment used: Bresser 150NT-s & lacerta GPU cc, pegasus astro NYX-101, QHY9mono, Baader UNB filters, OAG with sv305pro

Ha: 47x1200sec binx1, OIII: 49x1200 binx1, SII: 27x1200 binx2

SH2_157.thumb.png.cffe5180c87425268b15e02f4064ac67.png

Lum_nr1.thumb.png.94fc079dbbd8edcc0ad9eaabf957ca00.png

• Like 10

13 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Nice. I can't see that it makes any sense to mix a colour mapped palette like SHO with a natural colour RGB palette, but RGB stars in HOO make sense since HOO resembles RGB.

Olly

I see your point. There are two reasons that make me want to try RGB stars. One is that I don't like magenta SHO stars even with inverted green SCNR, but that is sort of fixed with adding HOO stars instead. The other reason is that ultra narrowband filters produce really weird diffraction spikes with my newt that don't coincide between filters.

Other than that I completely agree with you, no need for true colour stars in a false colour image.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I see your point. There are two reasons that make me want to try RGB stars. One is that I don't like magenta SHO stars even with inverted green SCNR, but that is sort of fixed with adding HOO stars instead. The other reason is that ultra narrowband filters produce really weird diffraction spikes with my newt that don't coincide between filters.

Other than that I completely agree with you, no need for true colour stars in a false colour image.

If it's good star shapes that you want, wouldn't you get the best ones through your red filter?

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
False click
  • Thanks 1

It's not so much about the actual star shape rather than the diffraction spikes. Each filter produces an intermittent spike (dotted?) which has a different pattern for each narrowband filter. When all three channels get combined this results to "longitudinal rainbow" diffraction spikes.

• Like 1