Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PHD2 as a cloud detector?

Hi all,

im trying to figure out the best way to build a cloud/rain detector. Then i had a crazy idea, as i use phd2 for guiding, is there some way to have it output a signal maybe to a mobile or email when it loses a star? It seems too simple but I’m sure it would have been done already if it was possible.

thanks for any advice

Alex

With a camera the best option is probably the much higher background value in case of clouds or loss of tracking.  For rain you need clouds.

Some programs like CCDCiel can take action if the tracking is lost.  The problem with PHD2 is that it  does not recover. So after a small problem it will loose tracking permanently even if it is not required to stop   The internal guider of CCDCiel however recovers automatically.  So after a minute without tracking and no recover of the internal guider you could program CCDciel to take an action.

Han