NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star field 102 Reducer recommendation

I'm going to get a Star field 102 fpl53, primarily for visual but it's also going to replace my 130pds for imaging and for a foray into EAA as that basically what my imaging is as I don't do much processing.  I'm having a look at flatteners/reducers and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

I see there is a wide range, from 0.6 to just a flattener.  Anyone got any experience or advice?

Is there an advantage to the matched adjustable one?  I've got a fairly wide range of m48 spacers so getting correct back focus shouldn't be an issue I'd have thought.

Love my Starfield 102, used only for imaging I purchased mine last April with this adjustable reducer and it hasn’t let me down. Using this and imaging at f5.6 is better than the flattener and imaging at f7, which you would find to be really slow compared to the 130pds at f5.

I had several issues achieving backfocus with my previous scope (Evostar 72ed) with a non-adjustable flattener - and spacers were the bane of my life for that. Hated them. The adjustable version for the 102ed made it a lot easier.

I didn’t realise there was a 0.6 reducer though? That might interest me…

Edited by WolfieGlos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Love my Starfield 102, used only for imaging I purchased mine last April with this adjustable reducer and it hasn’t let me down. Using this and imaging at f5.6 is better than the flattener and imaging at f7, which you would find to be really slow compared to the 130pds at f5.

I had several issues achieving backfocus with my previous scope (Evostar 72ed) with a non-adjustable flattener - and spacers were the bane of my life for that. Hated them. The adjustable version for the 102ed made it a lot easier.

I didn’t realise there was a 0.6 reducer though? That might interest me…

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellamira-telescopes/stellamira-2-06x-reducer-field-flattener-with-m48-adapter.html

Not a matched one, but I think it would work?

I' hadn't really thought too much about speed thus far, but right enough I usually stop my vintage glass down to 5.6 so Ive unintentionally been imaging about the same f ratio on everything I've got.

You've got some absolutely cracking images with your canon posted.  Is it astro modified?  Might have to dig mine out, I've got a 533 sensor which can be a smidge restrictive on the fov, but zero dark current to worry about 

• Like 1

I use the same reducer as WolfieGlos on my Starfield. Works very well. The 0.6x reducer looks interesting. Anyone got any real world experience of using it with the Starfield? 

• Like 1

Ive been using both the Starfield adjustable 0.8x reducer and the Stellamira flattener with my 102ED - both are great and have never caused me problems.

I do keep eyeing up the 0.6x reducer from Stellamira - i think i might have a go on one of these this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellamira-telescopes/stellamira-2-06x-reducer-field-flattener-with-m48-adapter.html

Not a matched one, but I think it would work?

You've got some absolutely cracking images with your canon posted.  Is it astro modified?  Might have to dig mine out, I've got a 533 sensor which can be a smidge restrictive on the fov, but zero dark current to worry about 

Thanks 🙂 Yes, it is Astro modded - I purchased directly from Astronomiser, he bought a second hand 800d from MPb, then modded it and had it to me in 1 week.

Dark current and noise are a bit of a pain, I have a 585 and the loss of that noise is incredible. As a result I’ve been looking at a 533 or 2600 for much later this year. Would prefer the 2600, but at that cost a 533mono with filters comes into play too… 

On the reducer…

15 minutes ago, Veej said:

Ive been using both the Starfield adjustable 0.8x reducer and the Stellamira flattener with my 102ED - both are great and have never caused me problems.

I do keep eyeing up the 0.6x reducer from Stellamira - i think i might have a go on one of these this week.

Interesting, the 0.6 would bring the Starfield down to circa f4 at 430mm focal length! It says it’s designed for scopes of f7 and slower so in theory it would work…

Does it attach to the starfield 102? The scope has an M63 connection and the Stellamira flattener has m48, so it appears that an adapter would be needed. This would certainly get my attention if it works…

Edited by WolfieGlos

the Stellamira ones dont use a screw connector like the official Starfield one, they have a 2" nose piece that is clamped in place by the scope. the M48 / M42 connector is on the camera side of the adaptor. On the plus side, it makes it very easy to rotate the camera as required and i havnt had any issues with loosening or movement.

14 minutes ago, Veej said:

the Stellamira ones dont use a screw connector like the official Starfield one, they have a 2" nose piece that is clamped in place by the scope. the M48 / M42 connector is on the camera side of the adaptor. On the plus side, it makes it very easy to rotate the camera as required and i havnt had any issues with loosening or movement.

Ah, good point.

I’m always dubious with the nosepiece/clamp, do you suffer any tilt or other issues using that type of connection? I used it for my 585 with a Barlow for some planetary, but I felt like the screwed fit is more robust. If you do try the 0.6, I’d be interested in seeing what you achieve 👍 

Edited by WolfieGlos

I must admit, a screw makes me happier ( as it were! ) The nosepiece / clamp combo seems solid - I've had a Qhy268m with QHY 7 slot filter wheel hanging from it with no issues and it gives me nice round stars across the field on long exposures.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Thanks 🙂 Yes, it is Astro modded - I purchased directly from Astronomiser, he bought a second hand 800d from MPb, then modded it and had it to me in 1 week.

Dark current and noise are a bit of a pain, I have a 585 and the loss of that noise is incredible. As a result I’ve been looking at a 533 or 2600 for much later this year. Would prefer the 2600, but at that cost a 533mono with filters comes into play too… 

On the reducer…

Interesting, the 0.6 would bring the Starfield down to circa f4 at 430mm focal length! It says it’s designed for scopes of f7 and slower so in theory it would work…

Does it attach to the starfield 102? The scope has an M63 connection and the Stellamira flattener has m48, so it appears that an adapter would be needed. This would certainly get my attention if it works…

Weirdly I've though of the opposite direction, I've have the 533 colour from Altair and have often thought I'd have been better getting the 535 as I don't really look for that much out of my images and certainly don't spend more than an hour processing.  Just not really using it to its full potential.

I'm kind of drawn to the 0.6 not so much the speed but the focal length which would be quite nice for a lot of nebula with the 533.  

• Like 1

The SF102 I find is an odd focal length, not quite long enough for the small stuff, not quite short enough for the common nebulae no matter the reducer being used. I guess it depends on the camera being used.