Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

That was wierd

The Warthog

After I set up my scope for a quick look at the Moon through thin cloud (or thick haze) I noticed a band across the middle of the view in my RA 7x50 finder. From the big end, it looked as though I had a lens cap stuck in the tube. I could work around it, so I didn't worry about it but I brought the finder inside and took it apart. There was a rubber object that may have been a baffle, but there was no evidence anything had been glued inside the tube, and it fit perfectly into the lower end, around the small tube that the diagonal screws onto, and inside the main tube. I pushed it back into that space, but found that it shook out very easily, so I just took it out and put the finder back together without it. It doesn't look like I will miss it.

Wasn't a complete loss. Although the haze/cloud was thick enough to obscure any stars, and even Saturn, I was able to clearly see the objects along the terminator, Rupes Recta and Birt, and impress my great-niece with a closeup of the Moon.

Archived