Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Adding equipment to top of telescope rings.

I want to use my somewhat ancient Orion ED80 for astrophotography but in order to achieve good balance I would like to position an Asiair and guidescope on top of the scope on a double bracket.

I want to position this at the mid point of the tube rather than at the rear so I'm looking for a solution that possibly involves a bar connected to the rings that would allow a finder base to be attached.

Be grateful for any ideas.

My rings are threaded on both sides, so I plan to add a second dovetail, then clamp things to that with a Vixen clamp. Alternatively, get a piece of aluminium bar and drill to suit.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies but I've put the tube on my mount and although the total weight of the tube, camera, Asiair and guidescope/camera is within the 5KG limit I cannot balance it in the RA axis with the supplied counterweights. Rather than put strain on the mount I think I'll abandon the project and stick with my WO ZS61 as largest imaging scope.

Once again thanks for the replies.