Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Az-eq6 vs EQ6-R reliability experience?

Hi Everyone, 

I am looking for your experiences with these mounts. I'm planning  to buy a C9.25 evolution. But, the C9.25 evolution mount bothers me, as I've read some reviews with issues on using a diagonal for objects at the zenith. The CPC twin fork looks better, I guess, but then I'd have to get a separate mount (heq5) for the ed80 I already have in order to do some decent dso AP. Given the cpc version is about a £1000 more than the OTA alone, to me it makes sense to get one mount to cover them both. Obviously, a heq5 is too lightweight for the C9.25. I'd like to do planetary AP with the C9.25 as well. Any advice or similar experiences  would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

Mark 

Edited by Flame Nebula

Don't have any experience with the EQ6-R, but have been using my Az-Eq6 for almost 8 years now and it just works.

On nights of good stability it guides down below half an arc second (it did this evening in a gap between the clouds).  

It lives in an unheated shed and has been carrying my SW 190 MN which weighs something over 14kg as assembled, without any problem.

I did have to replace one leg extension lock bolt a little while ago when it seized and the head sheared off when brute force was applied and the counterweights need repainting every now and then, but otherwise that's about it.

• Like 1

I concur with almcl...I have owned my AZEQ6 since 2015 and never had a problem. Tracking with PHD2 normally better than 1arcsec. My only complaint would be the finding of targets could be more accurate. 

• Like 1

My AZ-EQ6 has been largely without drama and "just works" even down to -20 or below. Guiding is at best 0.5" in good seeing and towards the zenith, but usually between 0.7"- 1" under typical conditions. If its windy, its a lot worse but thats just how it is.

Mine has a rough worm gear in both the RA and DEC axis resulting in some backlash and requiring me to use the predictive pec algorithm in PHD2, but these are no deal breaker. I think my unit is a bit worse than the average AZ-EQ6 based on what i read from others, so your mileage may vary. Still a good mount i will say.

• Like 1