NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tak FC-100 and Skywatcher AZ-GTI?

Has anyone used the Tak FC-100DC with the AZ GTI? I bought it for use with my FS-60 and FC-76 but the DC is only 2.8kg and fully loaded with finder, diagonal and eyepiece is probably 4kg. Under the 5kg “limit” but I am always sceptical of quoted capacity (and length of scope plays an important role as we all know). So before I damage the mount, anyone tried it successfully?

Thanks

Edited by DirkSteele
Typo
  • Like 1

Thinking about it, I did use my Starfield 102 for some HA solar observing and it worked fine, with all the attached stuff it's also overloaded. When doing visual I do like to use a manual mount most of the time though.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

The AZ GT1 has a stated capacity 11 pounds.  I tried my FC100DC on a manual Skywatcher AZ5 with a stated capacity of 15 puunds and found shakiness with visual.  The AZ GT1  has always been appealing, but I think that even a light 4' refractor like the DC will be borderline stable on the mount.  It might, though, be functional with a heavy tripod.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elp said:

The tripod makes all the difference. Tripod is the most important part of any setup.

I agree.  If you drive an axe into a stump and try to move the axe, it will be stable.  If you drive and axe into a log and try to move the axe, both will topple over.  The physics explanation is surely more elegant, but a  light tripod , even if it has a very high weight capacity, lacks the mass needed to stabilize even some lighter scope/mount combos IMO.   Adding low lying weights to stabilize a light tripod can help but kind of defeats the purpose of having a light tripod in my view.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Elp said:

The tripod makes all the difference. Tripod is the most important part of any setup.

14 minutes ago, dantro said:

I agree.  If you drive an axe into a stump and try to move the axe, it will be stable.  If you drive and axe into a log and try to move the axe, both will topple over.  The physics explanation is surely more elegant, but a  light tripod , even if it has a very high weight capacity, lacks the mass needed to stabilize even some lighter scope/mount combos IMO.   Adding low lying weights to stabilize a light tripod can help but kind of defeats the purpose of having a light tripod in my view.

This would be on top of Gitzo Series 5 tripod with a stated load capacity of 40kg. I did not buy the tripod that comes with the mount.

Hopefully you can get some answers from someone who has actually tried a 4" refractor on an AZ GTi.  Perhaps the moderator Stu could help, or try the AZ GTi owners thread.

Edited by dantro

24 minutes ago, dantro said:

Hopefully you can get some answers from someone who has actually tried a 4" refractor on an AZ GTi.  Perhaps the moderator Stu could help, or try the AZ GTi owners thread.

Erm, my Starfield 102 is a 4 inch refractor?