NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2nd Attempt of M81

Deneb

Hi

I had another attempt of imaging M81 alot better then the 1st (here is the 1st one), the image was taken 4 days ago, again using same equipment, ISO1600 - 102 x 10Secs Exps. Stacked in DSS, then a CS4 noob attempt.

M81_290409.jpg

Nice...

Why are you keeping your subs so short? lookign at teh image I definitely think you could try doubling it and it would probably make quite a difference.

The first thing i would do is take 10,20,30,60 and 120s exposures and have a look at the stars to establish what your tracking limit is and the background to see what your sky background LP limit is... and then settle on an optimum exposure based on those test frames...

Peter...

Yes longer exposures is the key

especially on dimmer DSO's

If you have tracking then as long as alignment OK and try a drift alignment you can easily go to 1 minute unguided and some say even more

It's only longer exposures where you increase the SNR, signal to noise ratio that detail will appear

Keep at it

Nice...

Why are you keeping your subs so short? lookign at teh image I definitely think you could try doubling it and it would probably make quite a difference.

The first thing i would do is take 10,20,30,60 and 120s exposures and have a look at the stars to establish what your tracking limit is and the background to see what your sky background LP limit is... and then settle on an optimum exposure based on those test frames...

Peter...

Thanks Peter & TrevorW, I will try again with double exposure times - when weather permits.

Archived