Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

[test image] - Horsehead Nebula

AstroGS

Continuing my tests of the rig at @PixelSkiesAstro, here is a quick iteration of the Hosehead Nebula.

It is not the first time that I am imaging this target but, it is definitely the first time that I can see this level of detail. I am sharing the final (quick processed image) + the starless one, which I feel is breathtaking. I am missing more Ha from the image but, it is still nice.

Ha: 13 x 300sec

SII: 9 x 300sec

OIII: 17 x 300sec

+ calibration frames: flats, darks and bias

RedCat61 on a ZWO AM5

2600MM with Antlia filters

Integrated and processed with PI + XT suite + Foraxx + GraXpert. I did not try to darken the background as, I wanted to showcase the beauty of the dust. If you can advice on how to reduce the brightness while maintaining the dust detail, I’m very interested to know how 😀

Starless.jpg

With Stars Annotated.jpg

Edited by AstroGS
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

The sweet spot lies between your two renditions. Learning to manage the stretch is really the essence of post processing. Work only in small iterations...

Olly

So, one area to improve is the stretch and that way I can control better contrast and the background?

31 minutes ago, AstroGS said:

So, one area to improve is the stretch and that way I can control better contrast and the background?

Yes, the stretch is everything.

There are various ways of controlling it. Some astro processing packages have an assortment of ready made stretches which offer educated guesses as to what might work with your data. Try them by all means but the craftsman's tool, in my view, is Curves.

It's too big an area for a quick explanation here, I'm afraid, but tutorials by Adam Block, Warren Keller or Robert Gendler won't disappoint. If ever you hear a U-tuber say, 'I just play with the sliders till I like what I see,' turn him off and don't go back. There are millions of subscriber-hungry beginners thrashing about in the dark with not a clue as to what they are doing.

Olly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Yes, the stretch is everything.

There are various ways of controlling it. Some astro processing packages have an assortment of ready made stretches which offer educated guesses as to what might work with your data. Try them by all means but the craftsman's tool, in my view, is Curves.

It's too big an area for a quick explanation here, I'm afraid, but tutorials by Adam Block, Warren Keller or Robert Gendler won't disappoint. If ever you hear a U-tuber say, 'I just play with the sliders till I like what I see,' turn him off and don't go back. There are millions of subscriber-hungry beginners thrashing about in the dark with not a clue as to what they are doing.

Olly

I think PIxinsight's GHS goes a long way to help folk with stretching, but I agree curves misuse is probably the most typical pitfall in processing

Adrian

Edited by CCD Imager

• 4 weeks later...

A new version - now that I found about stretching, I am playing around with almost all my images and trying to see if I can get more detail out of them.

Used for the first time also PI's new Gradient Correction module.

Thoughts?

Horesehead nebula FINAL V2.jpg

Starless FINAL V2.jpg