NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Abell 85 / CTB1 in HOO

Peds

I have been trying to image this target since November 2023 but weather conditions have been quite poor, as you all know.

This large supernova remnant was originally catalogued as a planetary nebula by George Abell. I had not realised how faint this target is, especially in OIII, which is mostly located on one side of the outer shell. There's some more cyan nearby, but too faint to catch with 5min exposures. I'll need to revisit this at some point with more data to see if I can reveal anything else in the area. Now that it's below my available imaging horizon, I've decided to call it quits for now.

The exposures were unguided after running a model with the Mach2GTO-L from my light polluted backyard in London, UK. 11hrs total integration (Ha and OIII) on my 130mm refractor. More info on equipment and exposures on my Astrobin here.

Abell 85_CTB1_AP130GTX_drizzle2x_downsampled.jpg

• Like 8