Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Grab and go tripod and mount for Evolux 82ED

Hi,

I have recently picked up an Evolux 82ED that came with an EQ3-2 mount.
I’m looking for a light weight but capable AZ mount and tripod.

The issues I’m having is when you compare AZ4 and AZ5, one has slow motion controls but aluminium legs, the other has no slow motion controls but the better SS legs.

I’m also potentially looking at the AZ Pronto.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

• Like 1

For my several small refractors I’ve tried all sorts of alt-az mounts over the years. Before I continue please understand that what suits me may not be good for you.

What works for me is this-  I’ve long ditched the idea of slow motion controls. They always seemed to be in the wrong place, especially as they both have to be used at the same time, more frustrating at medium to high powers. I much prefer holding the star diagonal and hand guiding the scope. The diagonal is always right there, immediately under the eyepiece I’m using. However, for this to work well it needs a well balanced scope on a smooth moving mount with just the right tension on both the altitude and azimuth directions.

The above works well with my 3 small refractors- TeleVue Pronto, Skywatcher ED80, Vixen 80mm f11.4 achromat.

Ed.

• Like 1

I have been using Alt-Az mounts for well over 20 years pretty much exclusively and like NGC 1502 above (including with my 180mm triplet), I have rarely had slow motion controls available and never had issues.  Well balanced and you can just nudge the scope along.  I would suggest that if the choice is between slow motion and better tripod, you would be better served with a more stable platform so tripod is the way to go.  

• Like 2

I agree with the above - I use a Giro Ercole Mini alt-az mount with my small refractor and have never missed slow motion controls. The simplicity of nudging it along makes the whole setup very straightforward. A good solid tripod is very important thought and I find I can use the setup with my 4” refractors if my tripod is stable enough and I use a counterweight (I don’t need any counterweight for my 3” which keeps it very light for travel).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

I agree with the above - I use a Giro Ercole Mini alt-az mount with my small refractor and have never missed slow motion controls. The simplicity of nudging it along makes the whole setup very straightforward. A good solid tripod is very important thought and I find I can use the setup with my 4” refractors if my tripod is stable enough and I use a counterweight (I don’t need any counterweight for my 3” which keeps it very light for travel).

I use a similar small mount, one sold by Altair Astro

https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-mini-az-mount-409-p.asp

I bought it used on here last year and it's been absolutely perfect in operation with my Startravel 102 and Orion ED80, so much so that I haven't used my AZ5 since and I'm going to sell it.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the feedback!

@LaurenceT I would be very interested in your AZ5 but I can't access the buy/sell page just yet due to being a new member.
Hopefully it's still there when I get access.

• Like 1