Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 150/1200 mount upgrade

Hi Folks

I have a skywatcher 150/1200 reflector on an EQ3-2 mount. The EQ3-2 mount I don't think is big enough for the scope, too much movement. I'd like to upgrade to a computerised mount but my question is with the price involved, would I be better spending £1000+ on a more sturdy go to mount or investing in a Celeston Nexstar or similar? It would certainly be a bit easier too move.

I'm new to here so if there is a similar thread, please point me in the right direction.

Owner of a NexStar mount here (with a C5).  I wouldn't recommend it for a Newtonian as you'll find that it'll run into the base of the NexStar mount once you're over a fairly small altitude.  The C5 works well with it because it's a short scope that won't run into it.

I would be looking to upgrade to a beefier Equatorial.  I don't own any personally, so I'm not able to specifically advise.

Technicially an EQM-35 Pro GOTO would be beefy enough but may not be ideal if you want to move into imaging.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/equatorial-astronomy-mounts/skywatcher-eqm-35-pro-synscan-goto-modular-mount.html

So would an EQ-5, although that may be a little more marginal.

If you really do want to go all-in and get a properly beefy mount, an HEQ5 PRO would do the job without an issue:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/equatorial-astronomy-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html

But that does significantly increase the costs.

Newtonians are a pain to mount, which is why the Dobsonian design is so popular for visual.

Others will have more informed opinions and real-World use of these mounts but I hope that gives you some kind of starting point.

Edited by GrumpiusMaximus
  • Like 1

GrumpiusMaximus has done a good job of describing your options and you have already identified your two main choices.  This will ultimately be your decision but here is my vote.  

Go for your “spending £1000+ on a more sturdy go to mount” option!  Pay special attention to the mass and portability factors of the HEQ5 Pro mounts before you choose but never doubt that a mount in this class will be much more capable and versatile than the NexStar and other smaller mount alternatives. 

Don

• Like 1

Thanks for that guys. I meant to say replacing what I have with a Nexstar 6se complete unit for £1150 or just a mount for the same price. 

I'm wondering what the pros and cons would be either way. I wouldn't put my tube on the Nexstar mount. 

My thoughts are my current tube might be a bit "wobbly" due to it's length even with a hefty mount