Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrocooker

I thought I'd post a quick review of sorts about www.astrocooker.com and my dealings with Dennis who runs the site.

So from the sites FAQ firstly what is it?

"Formerly known as FITS Scrubber, it has been renamed to Astro Cooker as it can now process other file types.
Astro Cooker performs basic post-processing on an image file, ideally a raw file taken during an astrophotography imaging session (sub) or stack. The original use case was to preview a single (raw & unstretched) sub before setting off an imaging plan."

I'd come across Astrocooker on Facebook and seen some pretty impressive results from pictures taken with the Seestar S50 and some brief bits about how easy it was to use which seemed right up my street, for a little bit of context my free time is pretty limited so anything that can make my astro life easier is a winner in my books.

I'd planned to use it to process some of the night mode images that I had taken with my Pixel phones over the last couple of years, however, it didn't support the native raw format - DNG from my phone. I faffed about with some file conversions and got some ok results, but I decided to get in touch with Dennis to see if he could expand the formats - from the site FAQ.

"I cannot upload my raw file.

Currently, these image formats or file extensions are accepted: fit(s), tif, jpg, png, arw and rw2. Let me know your image file extension or type and if the raw library can process it, I'll add it to the list."

I dropped Dennis a quick email at around midday yesterday, just after 8 pm he'd come back asking for an example file to test, and before 9 pm it was all up and running, which as an IT guy I can tell you is pretty much unheard of in the software world 😂

Dennis was very helpful throughout and as a bonus, I now have a nice easy processing tool to play with, my photo's won't win any award, but it's nice to be able to quickly get some more out of the data 👍

Example image below for reference, I've done nothing else to it other than run it through astrocooker.

419185971_10163280717188332_439770447403619718_n.jpg.d0a116e973803ab93c3cc35546f0a71c.jpg419090427_10163280717248332_2597283593336777414_n.thumb.jpg.56f2131e1542a05241952087b2b32086.jpg

• 2 months later...