NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Az-GTi equatorial mode

tants

Hi,

Considering of getting this for DPO.

Just wondering, is it possible set up similar to the image on AZ-GTi equatorial moder? APSC camera with tamron 150-600mm lens, and full frame camera with wide angle lens?

Regards.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 153257.png

15 minutes ago, tants said:

I believed to be around 6kg.

Well that's too much for the Az GTi in my opinion but I know some people get away with loading that much. What equatorial wedge are you using?

Edited by LaurenceT

See here for some ideas, if you do a Google image search lots of results come up, you'd have to put some effort into product sourcing including specific bolt and fixing sizes, I've found off the shelf ones didn't do what I wanted for adaptability:

Thanks, but seems that both cameras are setup on the same side of the mount.

I am thinking of mounting the 2 cameras on opposite sides of the mount. So that they balance to each other.

I think you'll find all of them are fairly balanced, otherwise you'll get declination tracking issues as well as put strain on the mount gearing. You don't want them too wide apart as it adds more torque to the system, as well as more weight in the hardware you're using. Also getting the second lens in alignment with the first takes a bit of effort if you're trying to image the same target with both lenses you'll need some sort of ability to adjust the pointing direction of the second lens.

1 hour ago, tants said:

Thanks, but seems that both cameras are setup on the same side of the mount.

I am thinking of mounting the 2 cameras on opposite sides of the mount. So that they balance to each other.

In EQ mode there are no sides to the mount, this only applies when the mount is in alt az mode.

Your cameras and lenses will be mounted on top of the mount so you will have to balance in both declination and right ascension but it is quite easy.

azgtieq.jpg

Thanks for the advises, Elp and Lawurence.

Actually, I am thinking of having a dovetail plate as the balancing rod. The plate is connected to the base with a short rod (M12 to M8; if I remember correctly the dimension). Then, I can connect the wide angled camera onto the dovetail plate, and act as the balancing weight. Tele Lens will still be mounted on top of the mount.

Not sure if every thing will hold up or not.

It wont work, as soon as the declination rotates your lower camera won't move in sync so both will be pointing in different directions, the rotated declination camera will also shift the balance due to lens and camera body weight. Best to mount both on the top within the vixen saddle, you can also use two dovetail bars fixed in a cross formation for the cameras to attach to, or use a losmandy bar but they're quite large and add significant weight.