Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Extension tube

Hello again I am back with another slight issue.

I have posted previously about problems with collimating my Stellalyra 8" dob, (f 5.9).

Yesterday I was out on a rare clear night and noticed that, to achieve focus, I either had to pull out every eyepiece or leave the extension tube in that came with the scope.

This did not bother me as I had clear images, I even managed to put a 5mm in to see Jupiter ( although the image was not perfect). This was the case with a 7mm, 9mm, 18mm and a 2" 30mm.

Is this normal or have I moved something around to much? Mirrors are almost in the right pace  but not quite, I would say they are aligned though as like I said, images were super clear with 7mm eyepiece down...

Edited by DAT
Mistake

If it's the same as the Stella Lyra dobsonian then you only need the extension for your 2" eyepieces. The Stella Lyra doesn't come with a 1.25" extension only a 2". I found focus easy to reach with all my 1.25" eyepieces.

• Like 1

That is the problem I had, I was having to pull out the 1.25” pieces too. I got round it by putting the 2” extension in and then putting the 1.25” adapter into the extension, then the 1.25” eyepieces . 

Have you measured how far out of the expected location you obtain focus?
Have you looked at the primary mirror fixings?
Is the mirror way up the screws? Or in a reasonable place?
Posting a photo may help other owners of this scope to compare.

2 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

Have you measured how far out of the expected location you obtain focus?
Have you looked at the primary mirror fixings?
Is the mirror way up the screws? Or in a reasonable place?
Posting a photo may help other owners of this scope to compare.

Thanks, will have a look tonight and post some pictures. I have messed up with the mirrors so I have a feeling the primary may not be where it should - learning how to collimate the hard way….