NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie question!

hi all,

I have set up my AZI GTI  with the my Startravel 102 to have a go at some EAA tonight- i intend to use my mobile to move the scope/mount but i believe ASCOM is they way , does anyone know where i go to get this and if its free and is it easy to use?

A lot of us use the synscan pro app downloaded from the app stores, I think it's also on skywatchers website for download. Installed on a phone it's a convenient way to control the mount once you've connected directly from the controlling device to the azgti via WiFi.

How are you powering the azgti, I've found AA batteries are not wise as you'll find it unresponsive after a few minutes if it even connects via wifi, a mains adaptor or 12v power pack are better.

• Like 1

The SynScan Pro app is easy to use.  The AZ-GTi broadcasts its own hotspot and you just connect to that, open the app and connect to the mount.  I've had mine for a few weeks now and the AA batteries work OK for a bit but I've bought a talentcell battery pack (as recommended by others) and it does the job seamlessly.  After a while, I started experiencing intermittent responsiveness when using the app and it was because the AA batteries had started to become marginal.  For the first use though, I don't think there's an issue with using them at all - just make sure they're new ones.

The alignment from the app is really easy and even the single-star alignment is reasonable.  Make sure you've got the scope on the right way.  If you've aligned the mount and leave the power on you can still take the clutches off and use it manually and it should remember where you are as it has encoders.  I haven't tested the reliability of it on mine.

There's a big AZ-GTi owners thread on here which I read most of before purchasing.  It's a really versatile little mount and I'm thoroughly impressed with mine.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Elp said:

A lot of us use the synscan pro app downloaded from the app stores, I think it's also on skywatchers website for download. Installed on a phone it's a convenient way to control the mount once you've connected directly from the controlling device to the azgti via WiFi.

How are you powering the azgti, I've found AA batteries are not wise as you'll find it unresponsive after a few minutes if it even connects via wifi, a mains adaptor or 12v power pack are better.

hi i use a power tank for power rather than Batteries, as i think to make sure i have full power ..just in case. :)

I have the phone app and use it ok, i just wondered about ASCOM to use via my laptop

12 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

hi i use a power tank for power rather than Batteries, as i think to make sure i have full power ..just in case. :)

I have the phone app and use it ok, i just wondered about ASCOM to use via my laptop

Apologies, misunderstood your original query in that case:

https://skywatcher.com/download/software/ascom-driver/

• Like 1

no worries - i think i will stick to the app for now as a newbie to EAA I'm keeping it simple for now, align, connect the camera, open Sharpcap and capture - job done  -i might look at this as times goes on and my confidence grows.

• Like 1