NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

synscan Wifi RJ45 to RJ12

lanerobertlane

Hi,

Does anybody know if the RJ45 -> RJ12 cable for the SynScan Wifi dongle is a standard cable or is the wiring custom? The blue wire on the RJ45 side of mine has broke, and i wanted to know if I can just buy a new cable for a few quid of amazon or if it's a open and try to re-crimp job?

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, mine looks a little different to that, since my mount has a RJ12 H.C connection.

The Blue which has come lose on the RJ12 end was between Yellow and Green on that end but on the RJ45 end it was on the far right. 

It's not just a reversal either, as you can see the red is between black and green on the RJ12 end, but between green and yellow on the RJ45 end. 

I was hoping it was a 'known' configuration type and I'd be able to buy a quick replacement, rather than having to buy this whole set from FLO to just get the cable. 

IMG_3096.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

Interesting, I just opened the box for my wifi dongle and inside is another cable, RJ45-RJ12, too funny. So they made 2 different versions of mount controllers (or more counting USB etc. )

I had a good look at the RJ12 end and mine is the same, they don't use the blue wire, it's cut short of the pin crimp area so only 5 wires are used, however it looks like your orange wire is displaced or maybe broken, sending a picture of mine, standby.

Cheers

Edited by Kilohertz

Hard to get good clear pics but here is mine, top and bottom side. I think it would be best to snip off your end and start fresh, have you crimped these types before? If you don't have a crimper you can manually push each pin out with a jewelers screwdriver, pull out the wires, cut the damaged ends off then cut off the blue wire shorter, then push them back in in the correct order then push each pin down to break thru the insulation, takes a lot longer than if you had a crimper. If you want to pop over I can do it for you in a minute. 😁

Cheers

IMG_6030.thumb.JPG.6a5515ab25e147eba073a42ac17442de.JPGIMG_6026.thumb.JPG.8ca9f727ea726972a3abae84c69927a2.JPG

It's a little tricky using the FLO pictures but it appears to show that the blue is not connected on one end. So perhaps that's correct for your cable too.

But your pictures seem to show the yellow wire is possibly loose on one connector.

If you have a multi-meter with continuity setting you can check each coloured wire is making a connection each end. You'd need a small probe to touch each of the gold pins in the connectors.

You can use a makeshift tester with a torch, some wire, a peg and some tape.  There are plenty of YouTube videos to show this rather than me do a text explanation here.

If the yellow wire is not making a good connection you can fix it using the method described above using a jewellers size screwdriver.

HTH

Steve

I didn't think of the multimeter! I should have tried that first. 

I'm don't have a crimper and was going to try the manual way with a jewellers screwdriver, but having watched someone on YouTube do it, I think I'll bite the bullet and buy a new dongle from FLO. I think i'd get too frustrated trying to do it myself. 

Thanks All for your help. 

If its any consolation,  I just fixed a SW wifi dongle for a member after the wrong lead was used.  The main 3.3v regulator had disintegrated, and he was lucky the motorboard in the mount wasn't fried as well. 

On the 8 pin RJ45 connector, the two outer wires are supply (pins 7 and 8 are 12v, pins 1 and 4 being GND).  Pins 2 and 3 are not used, with pin 5 - TX and pin 6  - RX of the TTL serial  connections.   If you plug in a 6 way RJ11 which is wired the same way  pins 5 and 6 of the RJ11 are +12v, but because it is centred by the clip, pin 5 corresponds with the mounts RX  connection, which means you are sending 12v straight into the micro-controllers  EUART (TTL serial port), and that means a new board, or (if the board is PIC16F886 based) having the microcontrollers replaced and reprogrammed.