NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bushnell 78-9518 good?

Our mosquitoes are still hiding from the cold. Get yourself a Moon map, and learn what you're looking at. I really adds to the experience.

Will do, hopefully tonight we can get another look at it, it was sure was a stunning sight but nothing like the 8" aperture scopes i used when i went to an observatory with my professor and classmates. We plan on buying a 10" Meade Dobsonian for $600 on telescope.com, that was the first scope we had in mind.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are nice but, personally, in the 10" size I would go for this one:

Zhumell Z10 Deluxe Dobsonian Reflector Telescope - Telescopes at Telescopes

They have the same optics as the Lightbridge but the solid tube will hold it's collimation better and there is little advantage in having a truss tube design in apertures under 12" I think - unless the ability to collapse the whole scope into a smaller package for transport is a priority. Saves you a few $'s as well :icon_rolleyes:

John

I concur. Additionally, the Zhumell scope has an optical finder, and a 2-speed focuser, which will make focusing at high powers easier. You can add a red-dot finder for as little as $20. They are useful for finding bright objects, and for putting your scope in the general area you want to be, then using the optical finder to find the faint object you are looking for.To add a right-angle optical finder to the Lightbridge would cost at least $100. I have both finders on my Newtonian scope.

Thank you both once again. I was surprised i could see the moon in great detail judging from what you all have said about the bushnell.

The Moon is a great target to start with because virtually any telescope will make you go "Wow !" when you view it.

Other astro targets are a bit more challenging but worth the effort, even in smaller scopes.

John

The Moon is a great target to start with because virtually any telescope will make you go "Wow !" when you view it.

Other astro targets are a bit more challenging but worth the effort, even in smaller scopes.

John

i cannot wait to see Jupiter, Venus, or especially Saturn. Speaking of saturn what kind of telescope could view saturn as if it was the moon? I would imagine you would need at least a 16" aperture.

Archived