Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommendation for a scope.

12 hours ago, badamsios said:

Hello y'all!

Always been fascinated with the stars, nebulous and galaxies Etc. Now that I am retired, I have time!

To that end, I am looking for an EQ refractor for no more than $225.

Thanks in advance

Grab yourself a beer or coffee and spend an evening reading through all the similar posts like yours where people want a scope on a limited budget.  You'll soon see that it's not a cheap hobby due to the initial outlay costs, and if you want something that will give the results you are expecting then budgets need to be increased.

In your case forget a telescope and invest in a decent set of binoculars. A decent brand of 8 x 40 or 10 x 50 binoculars will give you nice views and still have change in your pocket.  If you are insistent on an EQ refactor then expect to double, possibly treble your budget in order to get something of any practical use that is sturdy and have some level of precision. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, badamsios said:

Hello y'all!

Always been fascinated with the stars, nebulous and galaxies Etc. Now that I am retired, I have time!

To that end, I am looking for an EQ refractor for no more than $225.

Thanks in advance

If you want an EQ, why don't you go for a EQ Newtonian? We have a SW Starquest 130p with an EQ mount and works well and gives decent views for the amount paid! It is only $239 in FLO. 

The optics are good and it is really worth. You'll have to spend double to get them from a refractor for sure!