Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open cluster question

Richard N

I have been trying EAA on some open clusters, hoping to bring out the fainter stars. The problem is this leaves the foreground stars as big blobs. Any tips on getting a better dynamic range?  Using Sharpcap and mono camera. 

It's hard to get good images of bright and faint objects in the same field of view with EAA. The West Veil Nebula is a good example. The bright star 52 Cyg gets blown out in order to see any detail in the nebula.

Your camera will have better dynamic range at lower gain settings and you could try to select for this. If your camera switches from LCG to HCG then there will be two sweet spots, and the best one is probably just beyond the switching point.

You could also also try zooming in digitally on the fainter stars you want to see. I quite like figuring out what is the faintest star I can see in an EAA image. I zoom in digitally then compare with Stellarium. The best I've managed so far is a magnitude 17.5.

• Like 2

The advice to take shorter subs and stack is good. Another possibility is that you're seeing blown-out stars because of the way you're manipulating the histogram and/or black/white points. You need a curve that compresses the high pixel intensities at the expense of the low intensities. With the right curve you can get non-blown-out stars and fainter stars.

• Like 1